This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7846 / 51°47'4"N
Longitude: 0.6839 / 0°41'2"E
OS Eastings: 585221
OS Northings: 212956
OS Grid: TL852129
Mapcode National: GBR QLK.5QB
Mapcode Global: VHJJZ.SDXS
Entry Name: Heath House
Listing Date: 8 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111060
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118980
Location: Little Braxted, Maldon, Essex, CM8
Civil Parish: Little Braxted
Built-Up Area: Wickham Bishops
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Wickham Bishops St Bartholomew, St Nicholas, Little Braxted
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 81 SE LITTLE BRAXTED BRAXTED ROAD
4/164 Heath House
House. C17/C18 left range. Circa 1905 right crosswing. 1936 rear range.
Original cottage timber framed and plastered. Crosswing plastered red brick
with batten decoration. Rear range of red brick. Red plain tiled roofs. 2 red
brick chimney stacks each with 3 diagonal shafts. Left range one storey and
attics with 3 gabled dormers, 2 storey crosswing. The original cottage was
exended and converted into a Tudor style house for a Mr. Wilson of the London
Auctioneers, Puttock and Simpson. He had collected many Tudor, Jacobean and
later house items and these are now incorporated in the building. The 1936 rear
extension is of good quality with moulded brick work to window and door open-
ings. 3:1 window range of ornamental leaded vari-light windows all with
wrought iron ornamental catches, that to crosswing first floor an oriel. Plank
and muntin door to left range with segmental pointed head, surround with foliate
carved spandrels. Plain vertical battens to ground floor. Circular and
vertical battens to crosswing above jetty, simulating Shropshire style framing.
Carved crossed armed men jetty brackets. Foliate carved bressumer to jetty. A
similar bressumer to gable, the centre carved with a man's head, shield, 1905
and "W". Vine carved bargeboards with pendant to gable. Similar carved
bargeboards with finials and pendants to dormers. All carvings heavy and of
fine quality. The interior contains much good detail including segmental
pointed arches to hall passage. Main hall with carved Jacobean fire surround,
Delft tile backing and iron fireback with Royal coat of arms inscribed ER.
Staircase with barley sugar twist balusters. The upper landing with rail and
muntin oak panelling. All window frames are iron and the surrounds are stop
chamfered. Crosswing drawing room with moulded frieze and cornice and moulded
fire surround. Most doors have segmental pointed heads, are plank and muntin
with carved spandrels to surrounds. There is a possibly Jacobean copy fire
surround in one bedroom with original overmantel of 3 panels, the centre of
Marquetry. Original Delft tile lining. Other bedrooms with cast iron fire
surrounds. The bathroom has a small cast iron Art Nouveau fireplace and a bath
with original plunger. Original ceiling beams and stop chamfered bridging
joists to left range.
Listing NGR: TL8522112956
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings