History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wall Enclosing Braxted Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Braxted, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8094 / 51°48'33"N

Longitude: 0.6788 / 0°40'43"E

OS Eastings: 584766

OS Northings: 215698

OS Grid: TL847156

Mapcode National: GBR QL5.JFW

Mapcode Global: VHJJS.QS69

Entry Name: Wall Enclosing Braxted Park

Listing Date: 8 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1111073

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118903

Location: Great Braxted, Maldon, Essex, CM8

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Great Braxted

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Great Braxted All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Great Totham

Listing Text

TL 81 NW, NE, SE GREAT BRAXTED BRAXTED PARK ROAD
BRAXTED PARK

1/59, 2/59 & 4/59 Wall enclosing Braxted
Park

GV II

Park wall. Circa 1825-1831. For Peter Du Cane . Red brick with moulded
coping, mainly stepped. Of varying height approx. 3-4 metres in Flemish bond.
The wall has a circumference of approx. 4 1/2 miles. It adjoins Braxted Park Road
to the south and Kelvedon Road to the west, Pundicts Lodge track to east and
returns from thence to Kelvedon Road. Building commenced 1825 at Kelvedon
Lodge, the NW angle. The anti-clockwise building phases are commemorated with
stone plaques set in the wall inscribed e.g.P. D.-1825. In addition to
Kelvedon Lodge and entrance gates q.v. 2/72, 73 Witham Lodge q.v. 1/60 is
situated at the SW angle, Nos. 1 & 2 entrance lodges with Nos. 3 and 4 on
opposite side of Braxted Park Road q.v. 4/61,2,3 & 4. The entrance gates to
Great Braxted Church are of wrought iron with side panels supported by square
brick pillars with plain stone capping, wall plaque dated 1827 but the gates and
pillars appear to be of a later date. Entrance gateway at southeast angle has
tall square red brick pillars, moulded stone capping surmounted by lidded urn
finials dated 1828 and 1830. The new entrance to Pundicts Lodge with large ball
finials to brick pillars and tall arrow head rails and gates. A rare survival
in Essex and of good quality, the wall exemplifies the prestige of the Du Cane
family at Braxted Park during the 19th century. Peter Du Cane removed the
houses from near Great Braxted Church to Bung Row q.v. 4/88-92 thus enclosing
only the Church in this area of the Park.


Listing NGR: TL8476615698

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.