History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade I Listed Building in Goldhanger, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7459 / 51°44'45"N

Longitude: 0.7583 / 0°45'29"E

OS Eastings: 590514

OS Northings: 208842

OS Grid: TL905088

Mapcode National: GBR RND.DK2

Mapcode Global: VHKGP.3C7Y

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 30 December 1959

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1111097

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118861

Location: Goldhanger, Maldon, Essex, CM9

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Goldhanger

Built-Up Area: Goldhanger

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Goldhanger

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Tolleshunt Knights

Listing Text

TL 90 NW GOLDHANGER CHURCH STREET
(east side)

7/7 Church of St Peter

30.12.59

GV I

the description shall be amended to read:

Parish Church. C11 chancel and nave. C14 south aisle rebuilt and probably also west tower and
west end of church rebuilt. Late C15 south chapel. South porch in existence in 1780. C19 and
C20 restorations, including rebuilding of south arcade and chancel arch. Built of flint rubble,
septaria and puddingstone. Limestone, Roman tile and brick dressings. Red plain tiled roofs.
Chancel and south chapel east walls each gabled and with angle buttresses. Roman brick and tiled
north quoin. C19/C20 2 light window with 2 centred head to chancel. C12 round head window
with jambs and arch of Roman brick to north wall. C19/C20 3 light window with segmental
pointed head to east and south walls of south chapel. Nave north wall has 2 C19/C20 2 light
windows with tracery under square heads. C16 moulded labels representing the 4 winged beasts
of the Revelation, the lion, the calf the human face and the flying eagle. Between these windows
is a C12 window similar to that in chancel wall. East quoins of Roman brick and tile. A flint and
rubble buttress adjacent to west. Two centred arch to north doorway, possibly C12 origin but
much restored. Nailed vertically boarded door with ornate hinges. South aisle has a C19/C20 2
light window with 2 centred head and tracery to right and left of the C19 south porch. The
porch has stepped buttresses to south angles and moulded 2 centred arch with label and foliate
stops. Full length stone bench on brackets to east wall; similar but broken seat to west wall.
Moulded roof rafters. South doorway restored C14 with stop moulded jambs and 2 centred arch
with moulded label. Nailed vertically boarded door with ornate straps and hinges. Probable C14
crenellated west tower, 10 feet square, of 3 stages, with 3 bands and buttresses to angles. Stair
turret to north east wall with one slit light. West doorway with moulded jambs, 2 centred arch
and label, nailed vertically boarded door with ornate hinges. West window of 2 cinquefoiled
lights with tracery and label, this much worn. One small trefoiled light to second stage north,
west and south faces. Each wall of the bell chamber has a window of 2 cinquefoil headed lights
under a square head with label. Vertically boarded sounding louvres with trefoils. Diapered flint
flushwork panel over west window and flint decoration above first stage band. Crenellated heads
to rainwater pipes, some inscribed CBL 1853. Interior has ceiled 7 cant roof to chancel. C19
patterned coloured tile floor. Panelled and painted reredos. C15 4 centred arch of 2 moulded
orders to south wall. Piscina possibly C13 with chamfered jambs, 2 centred head and foliate drain.
Carving, possibly C14, to west of arch of a man, angel and ivy leaves. South chapel has ceiled
7 cant roof with 2 stop chamfered tie beams. Panelled altar and reredos. C19/C20 altar rails.
Piscina C15 with moulded jambs, ogee head, octagonal drain. Altar tomb c1531 to Thomas
Heighaiu, Alys, Awdrie and Francis, his wives. Purbeck marble, sides of 4 sunk and cusped panels
with carved spandrels and central shields, that to east halved. Top slab with moulded edge and
brass figure of woman in pedimental head-dress. Indents of a man in armour, 2 other wives and
4 shields. Later brass insertion to Anthony Heyham 1540 and his wife Anne with 2 shields
inserted in earlier indents, tomb either rebuilt or made up from another monument. Wood
carving C20 "Hands" by H Crawshay Frost. Nave has C19/C20 south arcade of 3 bays, moulded
capitals and bases, octagonal columns and 2 centred arches. Roof of 1310-1350 of 3 bays with
moulded wall plates, curved braces to stop chamfered tie beams resting on head corbels of C14
date. Traceried spandrels. Four armed crown posts. C19 octagonal carved pulpit with traceried
circles to each panel. C19 stone octagonal font. Moulded bases and shafts. Foliate carvings
between trefoiled heads. Two centred tower arch of 2 hollow chamfered orders, half round shafts
with moulded capitals and bases. Stair turret doorway with a 2 centred head. Door in second
stage possibly C15 of battens with strap hinges. RCHM 2.
[Pevsner BOE Essex revised 1965 p188. Cecil A Hewett 'English Historic Carpentry' 1980 p149
and 310.]

------------------------------------

TL 90 NW GOLDHANGER CHURCH STREET
(east side)

7/7 Church of St. Peter
30.I2.59
GV I

Parish Church. C12 Chancel and Nave. C14 south aisle rebuilt. C15 west tower
and west end of church rebuilt. Late C15 south chapel. C19 south porch, C19
and C20 restorations including rebuilding of south arcade and Chancel arch.
Built of flint rubble, septaria and puddingstone. Limestone, Roman tile and
brick dressings. Red plain tiled roofs. Chancel and south chapel east walls
each gabled and with angle buttresses. Roman brick and tiled north quoin.
C19/C20 2 light window with 2 centred head to Chancel. C12 round head window
with jambs and arch of Roman brick to north wall. C19/C20 3 light window with
segmental pointed head to east and south walls of south chapel. Nave north wall
has 2 Cl9/C20 2 light windows with tracery under square heads, moulded labels
with bird, gargoyle, angel and winged lion stops. Between these windows is a
C12 window similar to that in Chancel wall. East quoins of Roman brick and
tile. A flint and rubble buttress adjacent to west. 2 centred arch to north
doorway, possibly C12 origin but much restored. Nailed vertically boarded door
with ornate hinges. South aisle has a C19/C20 2 light window with 2 centred
head and tracery to right and left of the C19 south porch. The porch with
stepped buttresses to south angles and moulded 2 centred arch with label and
foliate stops. Full length stone bench on brackets to east wall similar but
broken seat to west wall. Moulded roof rafters. South doorway restored C14
with stop moulded jambs and 2 centred arch with moulded label. Nailed
vertically boarded door with ornate straps and hinges. C15 10ft. square
crenellated west tower of 3 stages, with 3 bands and buttresses to angles. Stair
turret to north east wall with one slit light. West doorway with moulded jambs,
2 centred arch and label, nailed vertically boarded door with ornate hinges.
West window of 2 cinquefoiled lights with tracery and label, this much worn. One
small trefoiled light to second stage north, west and south faces. Each wall of
the bell chamber has a window of 2 cinquefoil lights under a square head with
label. Vertically boarded sounding louvres with trefoils. Diapered flint
flushwork panel over west window and flint decoration above first stage band.
Crenellated heads to rainwater pipes, some inscribed CBL 1853. Interior.
Chancel. Ceiled 7 cant roof. C19 patterned coloured tile floor. Panelled and
painted reredos. C15 4 centred arch of 2 moulded orders to south wall. Piscina
possibly C13 with chamfered jambs, 2 centred head and foliate drain. Carving,
possibly C14, to west of arch of a man, angel and ivy leaves. South chapel.
Ceiled 7 cant roof, 2 stop chamfered tie beams. Panelled altar and reredos.
C19/C20 altar rails. Piscina C15 with moulded jambs, ogee head, octagonal
drain. Altar tomb circa 1531 to Thomas Heigham, Alys, Awdrie and Francis, his
wives. Purbeck marble, sides of 4 sunk and cusped panels with carved spandrels
and central shields, that to east halved. Top slab with moulded edge and brass
figure of a woman in pedimental head-dress. Indents of a man in armour, 2 other
wives and 4 shields. Later brass insertion to Anthony Heyham 1540 and his wife
Anne with 2 shields inserted in earlier indents, tomb either rebuilt or made up
from another monument. Wood carving C20 "Hands" by H. Crawshay Frost. Nave.
C19/C20 south arcade of 3 bays, moulded capitals and bases,octagonal colomnes
2 centred arches. C15 roof of 3 bays with moulded wall plates, curved braces to
stop chamfered tie beams resting on head corbels. Traceried spandrels. 4 armed
crown posts. C19 octagonal carved pulpit with traceried circles to each panel.
C19 stone octagonal font. Moulded base and shafts. Foliate carvings between
trefoiled heads. 2 centred Tower arch of 2 hollow chamfered orders, half round
shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Stair turret doorway with a 2 centred
head. Door in second stage possibly C15 of battens with strap hinges. RCHM 2.


Listing NGR: TL9051408842

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.