History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parsonage Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Theydon Bois, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6704 / 51°40'13"N

Longitude: 0.1087 / 0°6'31"E

OS Eastings: 545915

OS Northings: 198947

OS Grid: TQ459989

Mapcode National: GBR PV.837

Mapcode Global: VHHMS.T8TV

Entry Name: Parsonage Farmhouse

Listing Date: 22 February 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1111128

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118831

Location: Theydon Bois, Epping Forest, Essex, CM16

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Theydon Bois

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Theydon Bois St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Theydon Bois

Listing Text

TQ 49 NE THEYDON BOIS ABRIDGE ROAD
9/10 (North-East Side)
22.2.52 Parsonage Farmhouse

GV II

House. Late Cl5/early C16, timber framed and plastered with part of frame
exposed on north front elevation. Roofs are generally gabled and of peg tiles.
Main rectangular block at right angles to road with 3 gables to rear, two of
one storey with attics and one 2 storey. At east end, a C20 extension of little
interest. Front shows heavy arch bracing, C20 leaded light casements, 2 angled
two storey bay windows and a ground floor C20 oriel window. The original, four-
centre headed door remains in-situ and is exposed with moulded jambs and carved
spandrels. On the roof line, off-centre, is the base of a C17 stack, but with
upper parts rebuilt. Interior shows 'in-line' plan form, Wealden house, now
with inserted floor in former hall. The parlour end, at the east, has original
four centre headed door in situ with moulded jambs and carved spandrels.
Fireplace mantel beam with mouldings on main stack and probably reused. Remains
of soot blackened crown-post roof with very deep section braces. Late C18
staircase reused with Corinthian column newels and thin, twisted, balusters.


Listing NGR: TQ4591598947

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.