This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6464 / 51°38'47"N
Longitude: 0.0548 / 0°3'17"E
OS Eastings: 542267
OS Northings: 196176
OS Grid: TQ422961
Mapcode National: GBR N6.SLS
Mapcode Global: VHHMR.WWV7
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 29 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111217
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118630
Location: Loughton, Epping Forest, Essex, IG10
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Loughton
Built-Up Area: Loughton
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Loughton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 49 NW LOUGHTON HIGH ROAD,
1/36 Parish Church of St. Mary
Parish church, 1872, by Thomas Henry Watson. Random Godalming stone with
bonding courses of 3 layers of red clay tiles at irregular intervals, limestone
dressings, plastered internally, roofed with late C19 red clay plain tiles.
Chancel with semi-octagonal apse, 2 transepts, nave with two aisles and S porch,
choir vestry to N of chancel, vicar's vestry to S of chancel, all contemporary.
All windows have 2-centred arches and 2-centred tracery except where otherwise
stated. Th chancel has 3 windows with 2-centred arches and 2 2-centred lights
with a round shaft between and trefoil above; the lower walls are lined with
carved oak panelling. The chancel arch is 2-centred. The arcades are of 4 bays
with 2-centred arches on round piers with carved capitals of naturalistic
floriate and foliate designs, all different, executed by an unknown carver,
1872-1886. The clerestory windows appear on the outside as trefoils,
quatrefoils and a cinquefoil, on the inside as double lights with 2-centred
arches and a round light above. The S doorway has a 2-centred arch with
Mannerist rusticated jambs, the stonework on the outside left unfinished where
carved detail might be expected. The choir vestry has a timber dormer to the E
with 4 ogee-headed lights, leaded. The roof of the chancel is of high quality,
arched ribs converging to meet arch-braced collar-trusses. The roof of the nave
is of 7 cants, the timber exposed. The roof of the N transept is of 6 cants,
the timber exposed, the S transept presumably similar but not visible. The
pulpit is of limestone with naturalistic floriate carving. The font is of
marble, round and plain. The construction is fully recorded in K. A. Vine: 'the
Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Loughton, a short history, 1967, copy in
Essex Record Office.
Listing NGR: TQ4226796176
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings