This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6386 / 51°38'18"N
Longitude: 0.1139 / 0°6'49"E
OS Eastings: 546376
OS Northings: 195423
OS Grid: TQ463954
Mapcode National: GBR PX.HC1
Mapcode Global: VHHMZ.X2KP
Entry Name: Marchings Farmhouse
Listing Date: 28 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111227
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118552
Location: Chigwell, Epping Forest, Essex, IG7
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Chigwell
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
TQ 49 NE CHIGWELL GRAVEL LANE
House of C16 or C17 origin, much altered in C19. Timber framed, plastered,
roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Complex plan consisting essentially of
main range aligned approx. NW-SE with axial chimney stack near NW end, aspect
SW, service range to rear of SE end with one internal and one external chimney
stack, crosswing at NW end, several rear extensions. 2 storeys with attics.
SW elevation: ground floor, one C20 half-glazed door, french windows of Gothick
style, C19, 3 Gothick casement windows, one not. First floor, 2 C19 casement
windows, one C20 casement window, 3 dormers with C20 casements. Attic floor:
one C19 casement window in gable of crosswing, leaded casement window, C20, and
lean-to dormers with C19 casement windows. The interior is mainly C19,
including many Gothick features. One blocked unglazed window with 2 diamond
mullions is present on the first floor of the SE elevation, and a beam with
lamb's tongues stops is exposed near the SW entrance. Stone column bases of a
structure of unknown origin have been exposed approx. 4 metres N of the house.
The occupation of the site has been traced in a report by Dr.F.G. Emmison of
Essex Record Office dated 6 October 1949, beginning in 1427, and another by C.
Johnson of Chigwell Public Libraries. The rear parts of the house incorporate
the workshops of John Roger Arnold, 1736-1843, maker of chronometers and
watches, who bought the house in 1800 (G.H. Baillie: Watchmakers and Clockmakers
of the World).
Listing NGR: TQ4637695423
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings