History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edmund

A Grade II Listed Building in Abbess Beauchamp and Berners Roding, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7795 / 51°46'46"N

Longitude: 0.277 / 0°16'37"E

OS Eastings: 557178

OS Northings: 211438

OS Grid: TL571114

Mapcode National: GBR MG1.JVB

Mapcode Global: VHHM9.RJBN

Entry Name: Church of St Edmund

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1111331

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118285

Location: Abbess Beauchamp and Berners Roding, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Abbess Beauchamp and Berners R

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: The South Rodings

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Hatfield Heath

Listing Text

TL 51 SE ABBESS, BERNERS AND ABBESS RODING
BEAUCHAMP RODING

2/11 Church of St. Edmund
II
20.2.67

Parish Church. C14, C15, C19 with earlier origins. Walls of partly coursed
flint rubble with dressings of clunch. W tower with spire,nave,chancel, S porch
and N vestry. Roofs pegtiled and gabled. Chancel C19 3 light E window, N wall
has 2 windows, the E of 2 cinquefoiled lights with uncusped spandrels and
square head C14. The reset early ogival C14 W window is 2 trefoiled lights
with a square head. Between is a blocked C14 doorway which apparently led to a
rectangular, pentice roofed small chamber projecting on the interior. In the S
wall 2 windows of the C15 partly restored of 2 cinquefoiled lights under 4
centred heads. Between is a much restored C15 doorway with moulded jambs, a 2
centred arch under a square head. The late C14 chancel arch is 2 centred and of
2 moulded orders with a C19 capital. The nave has, in the N wall, 2 windows,
the E is of 2 lights with C19 tracery in a 2 centred head of C14. The W wall is
C19. Between is a mid-C14 doorway with moulded jambs and 2 centred arch with
label. In the S wall are 2 windows as in N wall but E is unrestored. The door
is C19. Exuberant, gabled peg-tiled roofed, timber framed S porch dating from
restoration of 1866-8. Roofs of nave and chancel are C15. Late C12 square bowl
font with circular stem and 4 small shafts and carved sides. Screen under
chancel-arch not in-situ of 3 and ½ double bays, each sub-bay with cinquefoiled
sub cusped and traceried head. Close lower panels with traceried heads and
bases. Late C15, restored. Sounding board over pulpit on short fluted Doric
pilaster with inlaid soffit and enriched cornice E, C18. Monuments in nave, on
N wall, of Sir William Capel 1613, on S wall of Mildred (Capel) wife of Sir
William Lucklyn, Bart. 1633, by Epiphanius of Evesham. Some fragments of C15
glass reset in SE chancel window. (RCHM 1).


Listing NGR: TL5717811438

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.