This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8005 / 51°48'1"N
Longitude: 0.1864 / 0°11'11"E
OS Eastings: 550859
OS Northings: 213572
OS Grid: TL508135
Mapcode National: GBR MFQ.5XY
Mapcode Global: VHHM8.50XL
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 26 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111359
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118248
Location: Sheering, Epping Forest, Essex, CM22
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Sheering
Built-Up Area: Sheering
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Sheering St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 51 SW SHEERING CHURCH LANE
3/19 The Old Rectory
Rectory, C18, extended c.1800, now a private house. Gault brick and stucco,
roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Originally comprised an C18 house of 2
storeys with attics, aligned approx. NE-SW, with axial chimney stack. Extended
to NE and W c.1800 in Gothick style, stucco, 2 storeys, and to NW, one storey.
Internal chimney stack in NE wall. SE (garden) elevation ground floor, french
window, bay with 3 C20 double-hung sash windows, 2 early C19 double-hung sash
windows with some crown glass. First floor, 2 C20 double-hung sash windows,
bay with 3 early C19 double-hung sash windows, 2 more with some crown glass.
In roof to SW, 3 hipped dormers. Gothick extension to NE, crenellated parapet
with octagonal corner towers, drip moulding, label mouldings over windows.
Some smoke-blackened medieval rafters re-used in roof of SW block. SW chimney
stack partly of re-used C16 bricks, mixed indiscriminately with later bricks,
exposed in SW ground floor room.
Listing NGR: TL5085913572
Other nearby listed buildings