This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7908 / 51°47'26"N
Longitude: 0.1968 / 0°11'48"E
OS Eastings: 551606
OS Northings: 212515
OS Grid: TL516125
Mapcode National: GBR MFR.NL4
Mapcode Global: VHHM8.C8D1
Entry Name: Red Tile Cottages
Listing Date: 5 June 1978
Last Amended: 26 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111379
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118191
Location: Matching, Epping Forest, Essex, CM17
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Matching
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Matching
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 51 SW MATCHING NEWMAN'S END
Red Tile Cottages
3/31 (formerly listed as Nos 1 to 4
5.6.78 (Consec) (Red Tile Cottages))
Lobby-entrance house,c.1600, extended in C17 and C19. Timber-framed, plastered,
roofed with machine-made red clay tiles. Originally of 3 bays aligned approx.
N-S with axial chimney stack in middle bay, forming a lobby entrance. Axial
chimney stack at S end, C19. One-bay extension to S, C17, with axial chimney
stack at S end, C19. Extensions to N, S and W, forming a block of cottages,
C19. 2 storeys. E elevation, 4 plain boarded doors, 12 C20 metal casement
windows on ground floor, 5 more on first floor. Some framing exposed
internally. In original building, axial and transverse beams plain chamfered
with step stops, joists of deep section unchamfered. In C17 S extension, axial
beam with lamb's tongue stops, thinner joists of vertical section unchamfered.
Jowled posts, with arched braces to tiebeams. Tiebeam between N and middle bay
of original building removed, replaced by iron tie rod. Arched braces from posts
to wallplates inside studs, apparently not trenched. Clasped purlin roof, curved
wind bracing. Some original hardwood floorboards, rebated, covered by softwood
boards. This building is depicted in elevation in the Walker map of 1609 (Essex
Record Office D/DU 25), with a double chimney stack immediately S of centre, and
4 windows at each floor. It then formed part of the manor of Housham Hall (to
which it continued to belong until c.1975) and was held by Edward Gemminges with
72 acres, called Newlandes alias Newmans. The other farm buildings depicted - 2
barns, a carthouse and a stable - have gone. RCHM 17.
Listing NGR: TL5160612515
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings