History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Latton Priory

A Grade II* Listed Building in North Weald Bassett, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7386 / 51°44'18"N

Longitude: 0.1215 / 0°7'17"E

OS Eastings: 546579

OS Northings: 206558

OS Grid: TL465065

Mapcode National: GBR LDX.TTJ

Mapcode Global: VHHMF.2K2K

Entry Name: Latton Priory

Listing Date: 26 April 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1111392

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118222

Location: North Weald Bassett, Epping Forest, Essex, CM17

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: North Weald Bassett

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Harlow St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Epping

Listing Text

TL 466 066 NORTH WEALD BASSETT LONDON ROAD
4/26 Latton Priory

GV II*

Ruined priory, early C14, converted to a barn. Flint rubble with some Roman
brick and dressings of Reigate stone, barn structure timber framed,
weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Comprises (1) the
crossing and a little of the N and S transepts and nave of an Augustinian
priory, established in the C12, rebuilt in the early C14, already abandoned
by 1534, and (2) timber framed structures converting it to a barn, C17 and
later. The crossing has on each side a 2 centred-arch of 2 moulded orders
with a label; the responds are moulded and have each 3 attached shafts with
moulded capitals and bases. The N transept survives for approximately 3 metres
on each side. In the E wall there is a blocked 2-centred arch formerly opening
into a N chapel; the responds had attached shafts of which the moulded capitals
are visible; the E wall has a moulded string course internally and externally.
In the W wall is a blocked doorway with segmental pointed head on the E side
and 2-centred head on the W side, formerly opening into the N aisle.
Approximately metres of the E side of the S transept survives. There is a
blocked window with shafted splays and destroyed head; below the sill is a
moulded internal string course. Approximately 3.5 metres of the nave walls
survive. The weathering of the N aisle is visible externally and above it a
blocked sexfoiled circular window. In the S wall there is a blocked doorway
with moulded jambs of 2 orders, the E much repaired with brickwork, with 2-
centred arch on the inside, segmental pointed arch on the outside, both with
moulded labels. Piscina in the E wall of the N transept, with moulded and
shafted jambs, trefoiled head, drain missing, C14. E of the crossing, on the
site of the presbytery, there is a timber framed barn of 3 bays with hipped
roof. Jowled posts, primary straight bracing in walls, queen strut roof with
clasped purlins and no wind bracing, late C17. S of the crossing, incorporating
the remaining wall of the S transept, there is a 3-bay barn of similar structure
but of C19 construction. N of the crossing the remaining walls are sloped off
to form a lean-to, weatherboarded, roofed with machine-made red clay tiles. In
the NE angle there is a C20 extension of breeze blocks with steel stanchions and
corrugated iron roof. In the NW angle there is a lean-to roofed with corrugated
iron and C19 red clay Roman tiles. RCHM 3 (parish of Latton). Two engravings
of Latton Priory are included in J. and G. Storer: Antiquarian and Topographical
Cabinet, 1809, showing it in use as a barn then, but with more of it still
present. They state that the S transept collapsed about 1806. It is difficult
to reconcile their measurements with those of the RCHM. The post-dissolution
history is covered in B. Winstone: Epping and Ongar Highway Trust, 1891, 274-5.


Listing NGR: TL4657906558

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.