This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8116 / 51°48'41"N
Longitude: 1.0252 / 1°1'30"E
OS Eastings: 608628
OS Northings: 216882
OS Grid: TM086168
Mapcode National: GBR TQM.811
Mapcode Global: VHKGF.QQ9L
Entry Name: New Church of Jerusalem
Listing Date: 10 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111399
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120185
Location: Brightlingsea, Tendring, Essex, CO7
Civil Parish: Brightlingsea
Built-Up Area: Brightlingsea
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Brightlingsea All Saints with St James
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
BRIGHTLINGSEA QUEEN STREET
8/58 New Church of Jerusalem
Church. Circa 1867/68. Architect, E.C. Gosling, 44 Chancery Lane, London,
Builder Mr. Lake of Brightlingsea at a cost of £1,150.00. Gault and red brick.
Roof not visible from road. 2 storeys. Parapet. Moulded cornice follows
through pilaster capitals. End pilasters. Of 3 bays. The central bay breaks
forward with moulded open pediment raised above parapet and supported by
pilasters. 1:2:1 round headed first floor windows, those to central bay with
circular light over under a round headed recessed arch. Left and right
segmental headed ground floor windows, all with diamond leaded glass and stained
glass margins. Steps approach the central panelled double doors and round
headed doorway, double side pilasters with moulded capitals, flat canopy over.
Foundation stone laid by William Pickstone 1867. Swedenborg's writings
attracted little attention until circa 1783, About 1809 Dr. Moses Fletcher,
arrived in Brightlingsea to practice as a surgeon became a leading member of the
New Church. On 15 August 1813 Mr. Arthur Munson was ordained the 19th New
Church Minister and a church was built and opened at 18 New Street during 1814,
the accommodation became inadequate for the numbers wishing to attend services
and members were "kept at home systematically for want of room until this
building was opened. Brightlingsea Society of the New Church 1813-1968 A.L.
Listing NGR: TM0862816882
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings