History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Brewers Arms Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Brightlingsea, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8107 / 51°48'38"N

Longitude: 1.0259 / 1°1'33"E

OS Eastings: 608681

OS Northings: 216778

OS Grid: TM086167

Mapcode National: GBR TQM.G5R

Mapcode Global: VHKGF.QRP9

Entry Name: The Brewers Arms Public House

Listing Date: 19 September 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1111403

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120195

Location: Brightlingsea, Tendring, Essex, CO7

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Brightlingsea

Built-Up Area: Brightlingsea

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Brightlingsea All Saints with St James

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Brightlingsea

Listing Text

BRIGHTLINGSEA VICTORIA PLACE
TM 0816-0916
8/68 The Brewers Arms
19.9.74 (Public House)

GV II

Public House. Circa 1691 documented building of possibly earlier origin, with
later alterations and additions. Timber framed, plastered front and
weatherboarded rear. Double range red plain tiled roofs. Central red brick
chimney stacks. 2 storeys and attics with lower ranges to right. 3 flat headed
dormers with small paned vertically sliding sashes. 2 similar rear dormers with
C19 2 light casements. Dentilled cornice. 3 window range of mainly tripartite
small paned vertically sliding sashes. Central 4 panel 2 light door, fluted
pilasters with moulded capitals and bases, dentilled soffit to pediment. The
right range with a single small paned vertically sliding sash and end chimney
stack. Iron gutter brackets. New Street left return, weatherboarded, an attic
and 2 first floor small paned vertically sliding sash windows. A blocked shop
front with 3 pilasters and fascia, 3 light window, and end window and door. 2
first and 3 ground floor rear windows, one a bow and one with a canopy on
brackets. Gabled weatherboarded porch to left. The lower left range with
single window, C20 door, canopy on brackets. Philip Sainty - a founder of Yacht
building in England, who built the schooner "Pearl" for the Marquis of Anglesea,
lived in this building circa 1790 q.v. 8/62. RCHM 4.


Listing NGR: TM0868116778

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.