This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8609 / 51°51'39"N
Longitude: 1.0223 / 1°1'20"E
OS Eastings: 608206
OS Northings: 222350
OS Grid: TM082223
Mapcode National: GBR TQ1.79B
Mapcode Global: VHKG7.NHT9
Entry Name: Old Church House
Listing Date: 17 November 1966
Last Amended: 27 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111440
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120078
Location: Frating, Tendring, Essex, CO7
Civil Parish: Frating
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Frating with Thorrington
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TM 02 SE FRATING CHURCH ROAD
6/30 Old Church House,
(formerly, listed as Frating
17/11/66 Parish Church, dedication
Former parish church, now a house. C12 south wall of Nave, circa 1300 Chancel,
North Chapel of possibly C14 origin, C14 South Porch. All with heavy C19
restoration and circa 1981 conversion to a dwelling. C14 West Tower demolished
late C20 and full height flint faced buttresses added. Mainly puddingstone and
rubble. Limestone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs with pierced ridge tiles,
stone parapet verges, stone cross finial to Nave gable. Moulded stone eaves
cornice. C20 chimney stack to north west of Chancel. East walls. Chancel, 3
chamfered stone graduated lancet windows, stone quoins. North Chapel, buttress
to south angle, C20 glazed door with 3 trefoiled lights over, moulded band and
curved triangular light to gable with tracery, stone chimney stack to south.
Chancel south wall C14 2 trefoiled windows under 2 centred arches, former circa
1300 doorway between, now blocked at base to form a 2 centre arched window. C19
triangular head to eastern circa 1300 window, trefoiled of 2 lights with trefoil
over. The north wall has 3 C14 lights similar to the 2 southern trefoiled
windows and a C20 chamfered brick doorway. Nave south wall is buttressed to
east. The eastern segmental headed window of 2 ogee lights with quatrefoil
over, western similar but smaller than those in Chancel. To east of the C19 2
centre arched doorway is a C12 round headed light of Roman brick. North Chapel
north wall, central buttress, eastern trefoiled ogee 2 light window, label over,
there is a similar window to the west wall, western 3 light trefoiled ogee
window, label over. The west wall of the Nave is circa 1981 and is glazed with
mullions to ground and first floor. C14 south porch, roof C14 of alternate ogee
and straight rafters to collars. 2 centre arched doorway, flint wall base and
mullions to returns. Graffitti on west cill - William Frostick 1570. Interior.
Much of the original structure is obscured by C19 and C20 alterations, but the
rear splay of the C12 Nave window remains, and the 2 bays of the north aisle the
east bay with foliate mouldings to bases of arches. Moulded beams to north
chapel roof. Moulded shafts to Chancel east windows, some C14 and much C19
stained glass to windows, 2 centred West Tower arch. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TM0820622350
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings