History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Row of 5 Street Lights South Side of Esplanade Between Lancaster Gardens and Connaught Gardens

A Grade II Listed Building in Tendring, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7918 / 51°47'30"N

Longitude: 1.1664 / 1°9'58"E

OS Eastings: 618457

OS Northings: 215088

OS Grid: TM184150

Mapcode National: GBR VSB.MQ5

Mapcode Global: VHLD5.57G8

Entry Name: Row of 5 Street Lights South Side of Esplanade Between Lancaster Gardens and Connaught Gardens

Listing Date: 4 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1111518

English Heritage Legacy ID: 119869

Location: Tendring, Essex, CO15

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Town: Tendring

Electoral Ward/Division: St Pauls

Built-Up Area: Clacton-on-Sea

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Clacton St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Clacton-on-Sea

Listing Text

CLACTON-ON-SEA MARINE PARADE EAST
TM 11 NE
7/9 Row of 5 street lights
south side of Esplanade
between Lancaster
Gardens and Connaught
Gardens
II
5 street lights. Installed c.1912 together with group along Marine Parade east
and west q.v. 11/10. Cast iron. The first electric street lights in Clacton.
The very tall posts have 2 double bands with central heart motifs, the bases
with moulded rings, reeded columns, moulded circles, rings and beadlets,
acanthus vase with moulded rings and reeding over. The posts are topped with
large ring moulded lidded urns with finials, the urn sides with acanthus
mouldings. 2 pendant brackets curve outwards from the urn rims, each with
terminal urns with square heads and finials and support the circular lamps. The
brackets are supported by inner continuous curved and angled brackets the
centres of which are attached to curved and angled panels with acanthus
moulding. The lights are attractive giving the appearance of double pendants
and are a rare survival in Essex.


Listing NGR: TM1845715088

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.