This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8291 / 51°49'44"N
Longitude: 1.2454 / 1°14'43"E
OS Eastings: 623718
OS Northings: 219483
OS Grid: TM237194
Mapcode National: GBR VS1.9PB
Mapcode Global: VHLD0.J9R3
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 June 1950
Last Amended: 4 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111530
English Heritage Legacy ID: 119896
Location: Frinton and Walton, Tendring, Essex, CO13
Civil Parish: Frinton and Walton
Built-Up Area: Frinton-on-Sea
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Frinton St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
FRINTON AND WALTON OLD ROAD,
TM 21 NW
8/45 Church of St. Mary
(formerly listed as Old
21.6.50 Parish of St Mary Connaught
Old parish church. C14 Nave, C16 South Porch. Chancel became ruinous C17 or
C18. Chancel rebuilt and other restorations circa 1879. Septaria and rubble
walls. Limestone dressings. Red brick porch. Red plain tiled roof. Chancel,
Nave, South Porch, Bell turret. Parapet verges to gables. Chancel, moulded
plinth band follows through returns below windows. Buttresses to angles. East
window of 3 lancet lights with 2 trefoils over, under a 2 centre arched head
with carved soffit to stopped label. 2 light lancets to north and south walls.
Stone panel with carved cross below east window. Nave. Angle buttresses to
west wall. Cross finial to eastern gable. Bell turret with double arches
under a square head to western gable. 2 chamfered lancet windows to north and
south walls. Central C14, 2 centre arched north doorway with restored head and
plastered jambs. 2 similar windows to south wall and central C14 chamfered 2
centre arched doorway to west wall. Chamfered 2 centre arched doorway,
chamfered lancet-windows over. South porch. Circa 1600 with C19 restorations
to eaves level, timber gable with plaster infill. Angled buttresses. Chamfered
4 centre arched head to outer doorway. Returns each with restored 2 light
windows under 4 centre arched heads. Roof construction, collars to each rafter
pair. Internal side seats. Interior. 5 cant roofs, simple moulding to wall
plates. Coloured tiled floor to Chancel, large square bricks to Nave. Chancel.
East window of stained glass designed by William Morris executed by Sir Edward
Burne-Jones. 2 roundels to north window. Moulded trefoiled arch to north wall.
Moulded wooden altar rails on 2 plain iron supports. Nave. 1977 glass roundels
to north windows. C15 stoup with cinquefoiled head and C20 jambs to south wall.
Round head to north doorway. C19/C20 octagonal font on circular stem, moulded
rim, cross to north panel. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TM2371819483
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.