This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8075 / 51°48'27"N
Longitude: 1.1412 / 1°8'28"E
OS Eastings: 616644
OS Northings: 216767
OS Grid: TM166167
Mapcode National: GBR TQS.MB5
Mapcode Global: VHLCY.QTNQ
Entry Name: Cann Hall
Listing Date: 4 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111549
English Heritage Legacy ID: 119863
Location: Tendring, Essex, CO16
Electoral Ward/Division: Bockings Elm
Built-Up Area: Clacton-on-Sea
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Clacton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TM11NE CLACTON-ON-SEA CONSTABLE AVENUE
1665/7/3 Cann Hall
House. Circa 1512, built for St Osyth's Priory, with some C18 alterations; refenestrated in C20. Timber framed and plastered with close-studding mainly concealed and with brick nogging infill to south front. Red plain tiled roof, hipped with gablets. Off centre left red brick chimney stack. Comprises two bay hall aligned east-west with in line service end to the est and upper end cross-wing to the west which projects to the north. The hall and parlour were heated by an original stack. Continuous jetty on the south front. To the north are the fragmentary remains of a further timber framed building, probably detached kitchen, now attached to main house. Two storeys. Five windows to main front first floor with C20 two and three-light casements and three C20 oriels to ground floor. Vertically boarded door in original segmental head to right. Interior has exposed frame of high quality including open fireplaces, elaborate hall ceiling with transverse beam with highly ornate oak-leaf stops. Two axial beams with elaborate moulding and crown post roof with traces of reddish ochre colour remaining. After the suppression of St Osyth's Priory in 1539, Cann Hall passed to Thomas Cromwell, later to Princess Mary and to Lord Darcy in 1553. Dendrochronological analysis of 36 timbers from the hall and service range, the crosswing and the kitchen range produced a tree-ring chronology for the period AD 1301-1511. The latest timbers were felled in the winter/spring of AD 1511/12. RCHM 4.
SOURCES: RCHM interim report on Cann Hall, October 1997.
AM Laboratory report 00/98 "Tree-ring analysis of Cann Hall, Clacton, Essex" 1998
5873(Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England) An Inventory of Essex North East, 1922 Vol. 3.)
Listing NGR: TM1664416767
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings