This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5118 / 51°30'42"N
Longitude: 0.4129 / 0°24'46"E
OS Eastings: 567529
OS Northings: 181966
OS Grid: TQ675819
Mapcode National: GBR NLV.36D
Mapcode Global: VHJL6.38MD
Entry Name: St Clere's Hall
Listing Date: 8 February 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111565
English Heritage Legacy ID: 119807
Location: Thurrock, SS17
Electoral Ward/Division: Stanford-le-Hope West
Built-Up Area: Stanford-le-Hope
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Stanford-le-Hope St Margaret with Mucking
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
In the entry for the following item:
5221 6/39 STANFORD ROAD
The grade shall be upgraded to II*, and the building should also be noted for
its group value. The description shall be amended to read:
Farmhouse. Built 1735 for James Adams, Clerk of the Stables to George II from
1727 to 1760; late C17 wing to left (east). Chequer brick; plain old tile
mansard roof; brick end stacks. Late C17 wing to left of render over timber
frame with similar roof. Double-depth style. Early Geogrian style with
picturesque influence. 2 storeys and attic; symmetrical 5-window range.
Segmental arches over 12-pane sashes with thick glazing bars; panelled double
doors with original fittings set in square-headed wood architrave with urn set
on triple keystone. Raised string courses and crenellated parapet; 3
pedimented dormers with 6-pane sashes. Crenellated stair tower to right side
wall. Rear elevation, with segmental arches over mid/late C19 sashes, has
projecting canted, 2-storey crenellated bay flanked by one-storey, 2-bay
ranges with blind round windows set beneath crenellated parapets; range to
left has further mid C18 bay with stone-coped parapet added to left. C18
panelled door to left side wall. Interior: panelled shutters and panelled
doors with original fittings set in moulded wood architraves. Central hall
has fielded panelling with dentilled cornice, and fine classical landscapes
with ruins etc set in rectangular frames over doors; triple-keyed elliptical
arch over screen with panelled door to rear, which could be raised by
"portcullis" arrangement (machinery survives in attic) so combining two rooms;
room to rear has large reset late C19 Jacobean-style fireplace in rectangular
frames; similar panelled room with triglyph frieze to left; open-well
staircase with turned balusters set on closed string to left, very fine open
wall staircase to right with panelled dado and dentilled cornice to stairwell
and ramped handrail and turned balusters set on open string. First floor:
central room has fielded panelling with cyma-moulded cornice; flanking rooms
have panelled dados, that to right having original fireplace and separated
from central room by panelled passage leading to former main staircase.
Panelled central room to rear has fine classical land and seascapes with ships
and temples set in 4 rectangular frames, and particularly fine overmantle panel
with temple and female bathers set over rectangular panel with festoons and
bracketted mid C19 surround to C18 classical marble fireplace. Exposed timber
framing in C17 bay to extreme left. The interior is noteworthy for the
retention of its rare portcullis arrangement and machinery, and is
exceptionally rare classical paintings in the manner of Poussin set in frames
over the doorways and fireplace.
5221 STANFORD ROAD
St Clere's Hall
TQ 68 SE 6/39 8.2.60
Built in 1735 by James Adams. Red brick with flared headers with red plain
tile roof. Five window range, double hung vertical sliding sashes with glazing
bars in plain reveals. Three central windows are narrower and closer spaced.
Brick plinth, band between storeys, band below crenellated plinth. Three
dormer windows with timber pediments. Square plan with end stacks. Central
doorway with heavy fielded panel door in 2 leafs. Eight panels altogether.
Painted band surround with double keystone and 3 fluted half urns. Two storey
wing on east, plastered with red plain tile roof.
Listing NGR: TQ6752981966
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings