History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wood Norton Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Norton and Lenchwick, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1221 / 52°7'19"N

Longitude: -1.9766 / 1°58'35"W

OS Eastings: 401697

OS Northings: 247089

OS Grid: SP016470

Mapcode National: GBR 2JK.YY6

Mapcode Global: VHB0L.PXDK

Entry Name: Wood Norton Hall

Listing Date: 7 December 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1111734

English Heritage Legacy ID: 354842

Location: Norton and Lenchwick, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR11

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon

Civil Parish: Norton and Lenchwick

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Norton and Lenchwick

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Ab Lench

Listing Text

NORTON AND LENCHWICK -
SP 04 NW

897-0/3/10000 Wood Norton Hall

GV II*

Country house. 1897, by G.H.Hunt, for Duc d'Orleans. Red brick with freestone dressings and
some timber-framing with pargeted panels; plain machine tile roofs with coped parapeted gable
ends. Brick axial, gable-end and lateral stacks with brick shafts and corbelling. PLAN: Large
mansion with principal rooms on the south front and with the entrance side on the east with
the entrance hall in the north east comer leading to an axial corridor behind the principal rooms
and with the services at the back. Jacobethan style. EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys and attic.
Asymmetrical south garden front of 1:2:1:3:1:2 bays, the three single bays are gabled and
advanced and have ashlar 3-storey canted bay windows with cartouches and arms and date in
pinnacled gable above; between the gabled bays the first and attic floors are timber-framed with
pargeted fleur-de-lis in the panels and gabled dormers; between the two right hand gables a
3-bay colonnade with a balustrade above; large lateral stack on the right with stone corbelled
shaft with panel containing Royal cipher and crown. Lead drain pipes and rainwater heads with
Royal cipher and crowns. The asymmetrical east entrance front is of 1:2:1 bays, first floor of
central two bays is timber-framed as on south front, the outer bays are gabled and advanced, the
left as on south front, the right larger with stepped gable and large polygonal turrets and large
carved stone Royal arms in the gable, canted oriel on the first floor and 3-centred arch doorway
on right with crowns, Royal cipher and fleur-de-lis in the spandrels; inside the porch large
carved stone arms and doors with carved panels and fine repousse door-plates. INTERIOR is
sumptuously fitted out; most of the rooms are elaborately panelled and ceiled; there are
intricately detailed door panels, over-doors, door-plates and elaborate chimney pieces; inside
the fireplaces there are cast-iron fire-backs with arms and fleur-de-lis. Above the panelling in
some of the corridors and above the stair dados there are tapestries with fleur-de-lis and Royal
ciphers; the staircases are finely carved, have arcaded balustrades and carved crowns on the
newels. One of the original bathrooms remains intact with a panelled ceiling, marble walls and
bath with shower surmounted by a crown. Some of the original light fittings survive. The roof
has been rebuilt after a fire and the attics were gutted. HISTORY: In 1872 the estate was
bought by the Duc d'Aumale, the fourth son of the King of France. After his death in 1897 it
passed to his great nephew the Duc d'Orleans, who rebuilt Wood Norton Hall. The Duc
d'Aumale was pretender to the French throne and the claim passed to the Duc d'Orleans in
1897. The family left Wood Norton Hall in 1912. It is now occupied by the BBC as a training
centre. SOURCES: Cox, B.G., Wood Norton Hall Near Evesham; 1975. Buildings of
England, pp. 226 and 227.


Listing NGR: SP0169747089

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.