History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sandhurst Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Lamberhurst, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1175 / 51°7'2"N

Longitude: 0.354 / 0°21'14"E

OS Eastings: 564850

OS Northings: 137987

OS Grid: TQ648379

Mapcode National: GBR NRF.SD4

Mapcode Global: VHJN3.25ZP

Entry Name: Sandhurst Farmhouse

Listing Date: 10 October 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1111762

English Heritage Legacy ID: 169980

Location: Lamberhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

Civil Parish: Lamberhurst

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Lamberhurst St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Pembury

Listing Text

LAMBERHURST CLAY HILL ROAD
TQ 63 NW
(west side)
2/143 Sandhurst Farnhouse
II

House. Circa 1500, clad C19 and refenestrated late C20. Timber framed and clad with
red and blue brick in English bond on ground floor witb sandstone base and with
weather boarded first floor. Plain tiled roof. Four framed bay through-passage plan.
Two storeys and basement on plinth with continuous jetty on beam ends and hipped
roof with rebuilt stack to centre right. Four 3 light wooden casements on first
floor and 3 on ground floor with segmental heads, with boarded door to centre left
and glazed doors to right. C20 lean-to outshot at right with wooden casements and
boarded door. Basement openings to left return and large sandstone base to rear
elevation. Interior: crown post roof with moulded octagonal main post and crown
post trusses elsewhere with massive arched braces, the bracing and collar purlins
set eccentrically. The lack of soot blackening and the apparantly although not
conclusively original continuous jetty, suggest that, despite the moulded crown post,
this was not a hall house. The stack (of stone) and fireplaces are also early, with
four centred arched and wave moulded stone and wooden surrounds. Four centred
arched main door frame with hollowed spandrels survives, as do frame and jambs of
2 service doorways over basement end.


Listing NGR: TQ6485037987

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.