History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bacons

A Grade II Listed Building in Dengie, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6861 / 51°41'9"N

Longitude: 0.8716 / 0°52'17"E

OS Eastings: 598594

OS Northings: 202495

OS Grid: TL985024

Mapcode National: GBR RP9.C4N

Mapcode Global: VHKGY.2W4B

Entry Name: Bacons

Listing Date: 5 August 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1111788

English Heritage Legacy ID: 119264

Location: Dengie, Maldon, Essex, CM0

County: Essex

District: Maldon

Civil Parish: Dengie

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Dengie

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Tillingham

Listing Text


TL 90 SE DENGIE MANOR ROAD

5/96 Bacons

GV II

House. C16/C17 or earlier with later alterations and additions. Early C19 red
brick front range, C17 or earlier attached red brick rear range, hipped grey
slate roof. C19 left and right red brick chimney stacks, 2 repaired C17 or
earlier red brick stacks to rear. 2 storeys. 3 window range to first floor, 2
range to ground floor of tripartite small paned vertically sliding sashes,
segmental heads, excepting single light above central doorway. Step approach to
Ionic portico of 2 columns, 2 pilasters, flat canopy with panelled soffit,
reveal panels to doorway, panelled door with top lights. Interior features.
Large stop chamfered bridging joists, stop chamfered storey posts. Rear right
room with exposed C16/C17 chamfered and splayed red brick window jambs. Open
string staircase with 2 turned balusters to each tread. C18 corner cupboard.
One of the 2 original manors of Dengie and known as Bacons after Gilbert Bacon
1282 who obtained a licence to build a Free Chapel here. P. Morant Histo of
Essex. Lord Petre was Lord of the Manor 1912 - Kelly's Directory.


Listing NGR: TL9859402495

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.