History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Temple Laugherne

A Grade II Listed Building in Lower Broadheath, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1989 / 52°11'56"N

Longitude: -2.255 / 2°15'18"W

OS Eastings: 382665

OS Northings: 255664

OS Grid: SO826556

Mapcode National: GBR 1G3.0QK

Mapcode Global: VH92L.VZQP

Entry Name: Lower Temple Laugherne

Listing Date: 18 December 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1111815

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355174

Location: Broadheath, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR2

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Lower Broadheath

Built-Up Area: Worcester

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Lower Broadheath

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Hallow

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list:
SO 85 NW BROADHEATH

4/10001 Lower Temple Laugherne


II


House. Circa 1680. Flemish and flemish stretcher bond red
brick. Steeply pitched machine tile hipped roof with deep eaves
on moulded brackets. 2 brick axial stacks on south east side of
ridge.
PLAN: 3-room plan. Centre room (hall) and right hand (NE) rooms
heated from back-to-back fireplaces in axial stack; left hand
(SW) room heated from corner fireplace in axial stack and with
cellar below. Long attic chamber over centre and left end and
smaller attic chamber over right hand end.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attic and cellar. Asymmetrical 5-window
SE front. C18 or C19 casements to left of centre on ground and
first floors; remainder C20 casements in altered openings; C20
French casement to left of centre. Original cellar doorway on
left with cambered brick arch, moulded wooden frame and plank
door. Plat band at first floor level continues around house but
is breached at rear where the wall has been patched; one
original wooden cross-mullion transom window (lower mullion
removed) first floor right; remainder C20 casements, C20 doorway
at centre and C20 outshuts to left and right: C20 windows in
end walls.
INTERIOR: Left (SW) room has corner fireplace with chamfered
timber lintel with long step stops and curved brick back; corner
fireplace in chamber above with timber lintel and cellar below
with 2 chamfered cross-beams with short hollow step stops.
Staircases replaced and other fireplaces blocked. Attics ceiled
but trusses exposed, the principals with curved feet supported
on tie-beams.
SOURCE: Probate inventory of William Parr (1711/12), who occupied
the house from about 1686.


Listing NGR: SO8266555664

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.