This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7857 / 53°47'8"N
Longitude: -1.853 / 1°51'10"W
OS Eastings: 409785
OS Northings: 432157
OS Grid: SE097321
Mapcode National: GBR HSHN.MP
Mapcode Global: WHC9F.H3VP
Entry Name: Upper Headley Hall
Listing Date: 4 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111890
English Heritage Legacy ID: 336550
Location: Bradford, BD13
Electoral Ward/Division: Thornton and Allerton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Thornton St James
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5111 HEADLEY LANE
Upper Headley Hall
SE 0932 38/94 4.9.52
A fine remarakably unaltered hall built by the Midgley family in the reign of
Elizabeth I. Two-storeys, coursed gritstone, stone slate roof. Gabled west wing
with moulded saddlestone and capped shaped kneeler; the left hand one inscribed
W Midgley, the right hand dated 1589. The porch is dated 1604. Stone slate roofs
with C19 corniced chimneys. The entrance front has a particularly good sequence of
chamfered mullioned-transomed windows most unusually retaining their original leaded
glazing and wrought iron casements. The main hall window with drip mould, has 2 rows
of eight lights with leaded panes of rare design. The central pane to each light
is a diamond sub-divided in form, the top 3 panes are round headed with subsidiary
division to the spandrels, the whole creating a Perpendicular tracery effect.
Chamfered mullioned windows to side and rear elevations. The porch is steeply
gabled with moulded saddlestone and shaped kneelers, crowning carved stone finial.
Outer doorway with moulded jambs and 4 centred arch in squared head with drip mould
over. The spandrels are inscribed IM and 1604, the drip mould is carved with LM at
the return and M in the apex of the gable. Original door with sliding bar in wall
sockets, The interior retains carved oak doors, rail and muntin panelling/
partitioning, and staircase.
Listing NGR: SE0978532157
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings