This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9033 / 54°54'11"N
Longitude: -2.8199 / 2°49'11"W
OS Eastings: 347521
OS Northings: 556817
OS Grid: NY475568
Mapcode National: GBR 8CRR.93
Mapcode Global: WH804.N0DW
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Wilfred
Listing Date: 1 April 1957
Last Amended: 22 September 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111897
English Heritage Legacy ID: 77754
Location: Wetheral, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA4
Civil Parish: Wetheral
Built-Up Area: Warwick Bridge
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Holme Eden St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
WETHERAL A69, WARWICK BRIDGE
NY 45 NE (South Side)
6/172 Church of St Mary and
1. 4.57. (Formerly listed as Church
of St Mary).
Roman Catholic Church. 1841 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin for Henry Howard of Corby Castle.
Red sandstone snecked ashlar walls, slate roof with coped gables. Nave of 4
bays, single bay chancel, gabled south porch, added sacristy to south wall of
chancel. Nave has buttressed walls and angles, with alternating large and small
lancets, larger windows of Y-shaped tracery and cusped heads. West entrance and
porch have pointed entrance arches with moulded surrounds and hood moulds ending
in mitred heads. West gable has 3 lancets with trefoil heads and hood moulds,
surmounted by hexagonal bellcote. Interior has open timber roof, all painted
and decorated with gold. Stone font beside south entrance, cut-stone pulpit on
south wall of nave, beside chancel arch, has entrance from sacristy and
decorated with figurative painted panels. Corresponding niche on north wall has
figure of the Virgin. Text painted around dado panels, with decorative motifs
painted on splays of the smaller lancets. Stained glass of 1860, 65 and 67, by
Harrington of London, presented by Philip Howard. Chancel has screen of carved
and painted wood with central crucifix, flanked by Virgin Mary and St Wilfred.
Decorative painted ribbed plank ceiling and painted walls. Stepped altar,
heavily gilded with metal work to Pugin's designs, flanked by 2 small coronas by
Pugin. Sedilia and piscina in south wall; Easter-Sepulchre-like recess to
north wall with tomb of Henry Howard (q.v.), died 1842. Retains all of original
decorations much to Pugin's designs. See, Pheobe Stanton, Pugin, p.94-97.
Listing NGR: NY4752156817
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings