This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8309 / 51°49'51"N
Longitude: 0.1693 / 0°10'9"E
OS Eastings: 549576
OS Northings: 216922
OS Grid: TL495169
Mapcode National: GBR MFB.1ML
Mapcode Global: VHHM1.W7CS
Entry Name: Hallingbury Mill
Listing Date: 13 June 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1111991
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120539
Location: Little Hallingbury, Uttlesford, Essex, CM22
Civil Parish: Little Hallingbury
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Little Hallingbury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL41NE LITTLE HALLINGBURY MILL LANE
4/92 Hallingbury Mill
A fully restored Watermill built 1874 with the rebuilt granary standing on the
site of the mill demolished in 1885. 3 storeys and loft. The ground floor is
brick built with arched window and door openings. Stone floor, Binn floor and Loft
are timber framed and clad with vertical weatherboarding the exception of right
return wall which is hung with grey slate tiles. Said to be the only known
surviving vertical weatherboarded building of its kind in the South East. Front
and Rear lucombs with ornamental iron brackets. Red pan tile roofs to Mill and
rebuilt granary. 4 paned windows throughout the building. All the main timber
structure is original and the crossbeams tenon into the main uprights. Main
beams 12" x 9" x 22' long are tied in with smith made iron ties and dogs. Much
of the original machinery has been retained including Water Wheel, 7' breadth
16' diameter with 48 floats of low breast type, also Pit Wheel, Trough, Spier Wheel,
Crown Wheel and Stone nuts. 4 pair of Stone Wheels were originally installed,
only one pair now remains complete.
The mill can produce small quantities of wholemeal flour since its restoration.
There are 2 old machines mounted for demonstration in the building, one is a
warehouse separator and the other a brush machine.
Listing NGR: TL4957616922
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings