This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9284 / 51°55'42"N
Longitude: 1.0042 / 1°0'15"E
OS Eastings: 606647
OS Northings: 229804
OS Grid: TM066298
Mapcode National: GBR SMX.2P6
Mapcode Global: VHKFV.CS7L
Entry Name: Badliss Hall
Listing Date: 30 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1112090
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120372
Location: Ardleigh, Tendring, Essex, CO7
Civil Parish: Ardleigh
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Ardleigh St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
ARDLEIGH OFF HOME FARM LANE
TM 02 NE
6/27 Badliss Hall
House. C16 or earlier origin with C17, C18 and later alterations and additions.
Timber framed and plastered. Hipped red tiled roof, with off centre right
chimney stack. 2 storeys. Rear left 2 storey, jettied double wing hipped and
gabled, single chimney stack. Rear right one storey and attics gabled wing with
2 dormer windows, gable end chimney stack. Front range with panel pargetting..
and moulded plinth. 4 first floor 3 ground floor small paned vertically sliding
sashes excepting ground floor right small paned 3 light casement. Recessed door
between left and central windows, 2 panel 4 light moulded surround. There are 3
curved brackets to rear jetty, and an Insurance plaque above the jetty. Much of
the frame is covered but the storey posts are jowled, heavy stop chamfered
bridging joists in kitchen and old bakehouse. There are 2 original nailed
moulded doors. Halved arched bracing to walls. Boxed in bridging joists to
front range and fireplace with fluted columns and fret frieze. Archway to hall.
From elsewhere are the barley sugar stair rails and 4 armed octagonal crown post
with moulded capitals and base used as a newel, also an old prison door. Cellar
of narrow bricks. House and barns shown on estate map of 1773. William Lugar,
yeoman lived here 1796. F.H. Erith "Ardleigh in 1796", 1978.
Listing NGR: TM0664729804
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings