This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.87 / 51°52'11"N
Longitude: 1.1926 / 1°11'33"E
OS Eastings: 619881
OS Northings: 223864
OS Grid: TM198238
Mapcode National: GBR VRD.NBN
Mapcode Global: VHLCS.M8B9
Entry Name: Kingshead
Listing Date: 30 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1112114
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120328
Location: Thorpe-le-Soken, Tendring, Essex, CO16
Civil Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
THORPE-LE-SOKEN LANDERMERE QUAY
TM 12 SE (north side)
Public house, now a house. Early C19. Partly timber framed and weatherboarded,
partly of red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles.
Complex plan comprising (1) C18 timber framed house facing SW, with central
stack, of one storey with attics, (2) early C19 brick wing to rear of left end,
with straight joint indicating that it was extended before mid-C19, with
external stack to right, having a cellar, high main floor and attics, (3) in
rear right angle, C19 2-storey range having a brick ground floor, and timber
framed and weatherboarded first floor, parallel with block (1), with axial
stack, (4) C20 conservatory and lean-to extension to right. SW elevation, 2 C20
casements on the ground floor, one fixed light at half-floor level, and 2 C20
casements in gabled dormers. 2 plain boarded doors. NW elevation, 3 apertures
to cellar, one early C19 sash of 12 + 12 lights, one of 6 + 6 lights and one C20
sash on main floor, and 2 flat-roofed dormers, one having a C19 horizontal sash
of 8 lights, the other a C20 casement. Plain boarded door at top of 4
cement-rendered steps. Gambrel roof. 3 small brick buttresses. On the SW
elevation is an original square wooden downpipe, the wooden guttering missing.
Block (2) has an original stair to the attic, with turned newel, stick balusters
and moulded handrail. Described in the tithe award of 1840 as the King's Head
Inn, with lime shed, lime kiln and coalyard, owned by the Hope Insurance
Company, occupied by Jacob Manning (Essex Record Office, D/CT 352). First
recorded in poor rate assessment of 1811. A photograph taken c.1920 appears in
E.A. Wood, A History of Thorpe-le-Soken to the year 1890, 1975, 104).
Listing NGR: TM1988123864
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.