This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8657 / 51°51'56"N
Longitude: 1.1883 / 1°11'17"E
OS Eastings: 619610
OS Northings: 223373
OS Grid: TM196233
Mapcode National: GBR VRD.THD
Mapcode Global: VHLCS.KC2M
Entry Name: Landermere Cottage
Listing Date: 30 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1112116
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120334
Location: Thorpe-le-Soken, Tendring, Essex, CO16
Civil Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TM 12 SE
Pair of attached cottages, now one house. C18, altered in early C19 and C20.
Timber framed, roughcast rendered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays
facing SW with central stack. Early C19 rear wing with internal stack at end,
forming a T-plan. C20 single-storey lean-to extension in rear right angle.
Single-storey flat-roofed extension in rear left angle, 1985. One storey with
attics. 2 C20 casements, and 2 more in gabled dormers. C20 door. Gambrel
roofs. Chamfered transverse beams without stops. 3 wood-burning hearths. 2
original winder stairs to rear of stack. Primary straight bracing. Some
inserted brick nogging in rear wall of main block. Altered to one house with
minimal disturbance of original structure and internal features. In the tithe
award of 1840 this building was owned by Sarah Sallows, and was occupied by 4
tenants, Henry Spurling, Simon Baker, Joseph Smith and John Wapling, implying
additional sub-division at that time (Essex Record Office, D/CT 352).
Listing NGR: TM1946523014
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings