History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edmund

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tendring, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8747 / 51°52'29"N

Longitude: 1.1123 / 1°6'44"E

OS Eastings: 614337

OS Northings: 224152

OS Grid: TM143241

Mapcode National: GBR TPZ.D19

Mapcode Global: VHLCR.74DN

Entry Name: Church of St Edmund

Listing Date: 17 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1112122

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120242

Location: Tendring, Tendring, Essex, CO16

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Tendring

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Tendring

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Weeley

Listing Text

TENDRING THE STREET
TM 12 SW
4/132 Church of St. Edmund
17.11.66
- II*

Parish Church. C13 Nave and Chancel, C14 North Porch. C19 West Tower and east
wall rebuilt. C19 South Chapel and aisle, C19 and C20 restorations. Plastered
stone and flint rubble walls, stone and flint flushwork facing to west tower,
south chapel and aisle. Red plain tiled roofs. Chancel, east wall 3 graduated
lancets, continuous label over with head stops, plinth, parapet verges, angle
buttresses. North wall, 2 C13 chamfered lancets, partly restored, 2 buttresses.
South Chapel and aisle, east and west walls have each a window of 2
cinquefoiled ogees, label with headstops, angle buttresses. South wall, the 4
western bays have each a window of 2 cinquefoiled ogees, segmental heads and
labels. 2 eastern windows of 2 chamfered trefoiled lights, 2 centred heads and
labels, buttresses between each window. Nave, north wall, 2 windows, the circa
1300 eastern of 2 trefoiled lights with a trefoil in a 2 centred head, the
western mainly restored of 3 trefoiled lights, trefoil over, 2 centred head.
Angle buttresses and 3 other buttresses. C14 gabled north porch, timber framed,
2 centre arched doorway flanked by open lights with trefoiled ogee heads and
tracery, side walls each have 6 trefoiled ogee lights with cusped spandrels,
restored mullions. Foiled bargeboards to gables, moulded wall plates, collars
to each rafter pair, cambered tie beam, side seats. North doorway, C19
chamfered 4 centred head, double vertically boarded doors, ornate hinges, C14
rear splays. West tower of 3 stages, stone bands between, angle buttresses,
panelled flint flushwork cornice, crenellated with pinnacles, crocketted spire
of 5 stages, weathervane. Stair turret to north west angle. Gargoyles to
cornice. North, west and south bell chamber windows of 2 trefoiled lights with
quatrefoil, 2 centred heads, second stage north, south and west faces have
single trefoiled lights, west face, first stage window of 2 trefoiled lights,
roundels over, 2 centred head. The stair turret upper stage with quatrefoils in
flint flushwork panels, lower cross light and quatrefoil. Interior. Chancel.
Boarded barrel vaulted roof. Piscina, restored C13, chamfered jambs, 2 centred
head, no drain. south wall monument of Edmund Saunder, 1615, alabaster figure of
a kneeling man in civil dress within a round headed recess with flanking
pilasters, cornice and shield, brass under. C19 painted prayer and commandments
to reredos, C19 wooden altar rail, C19 and C20 stained glass windows. C19 south
archway, 2 centred of 2 chamfered orders, moulded capitals and bases to columns.
C19 2 centred Chancel arch, moulded capitals and bases to shafts. Nave. C16
roof of 6 bays, moulded wall plates, arched braces to raised tie beams which
support queen posts and arched braces to collars, struts to apex, arched braces
to side purlins. C14 moulded timber north and south door surrounds with tracery
to gables, moulded wall posts, arched braces spring from these gables and
support a heavy tie beam which appears to have had the centre removed to form
hammerbeams. Illustration of door surrounds C.A. Hewitt Church Carpentry 1974.
The removal of the centre of the tie beam gives a view from the Chancel to the
C19 Tower arch and it is now tied with a metal bar, this truss supported the
former bell turret. South arcade of 3 bays, chamfered 2 centred arches,
octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. C16 octagonal font, panelled
sides with shield, foliage and pomegranate decoration, carved soffit,
cinquefoiled panels to stem, moulded base. C19 moulded 2 centred Tower arch.
Coloured tile and brick floors. C19 south aisle lean-to roof with moulded
principles, arched braces and trefoiled spandrels. RCHM 1.


Listing NGR: TM1433724152

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.