History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Leonard

A Grade II Listed Building in Beaumont-cum-Moze, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8777 / 51°52'39"N

Longitude: 1.1659 / 1°9'57"E

OS Eastings: 618011

OS Northings: 224646

OS Grid: TM180246

Mapcode National: GBR VRC.7LW

Mapcode Global: VHLCS.527C

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Leonard

Listing Date: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1112127

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120251

Location: Beaumont-cum-Moze, Tendring, Essex, CO16

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Beaumont-cum-Moze

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Beaumont-cum-Moze

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Thorpe le Soken

Listing Text

BEAUMONT-CUM-MOZE CHURCH LANE
TM 12 SE
5/7 Parish Church of
St. Leonard

GV II

Parish church. C14 origin, mainly rebuilt c.1854 by C. Hakewill, retaining some
features of the earlier building. Original part of plastered rubble, remainder
of exposed uncoursed rubble, with limestone dressings, roofed with handmade red
clay tiles. Chancel partly C14, Nave, N aisle, N vestry, S porch and W bellcote
C19. The E buttresses of the Chancel are original, and in the S wall is an
original doorway with chamfered jambs and 2-centred arch. In the Chancel is a
piscina with moulded jambs, cinquefoiled head and sexfoiled drain, probably C15.
Over the chancel-arch is a stone carved with the monogram IRS. The communion
rail is early C18, with moulded rail and twisted balusters. Floor-slabs
reported by RCHM (1) to Mrs. R.E. Rathbone, 1689, and (2) to Rev. James
Rathbone, early C18, concealed by fitted carpet. In the S porch are 2 moulded
wallplates, re-used in the C19 structure, and a C15 indent of a figure and
inscription. There are 2 bells, the second inscribed 'John Darbie made me 1684'
(date indistinct from a distance).


Listing NGR: TM1801124646

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.