History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn and Attached Complex of Buildings at Oak Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Beaumont-cum-Moze, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.886 / 51°53'9"N

Longitude: 1.1611 / 1°9'40"E

OS Eastings: 617640

OS Northings: 225551

OS Grid: TM176255

Mapcode National: GBR VR5.LDT

Mapcode Global: VHLCL.2VPK

Entry Name: Barn and Attached Complex of Buildings at Oak Farm

Listing Date: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1112131

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120262

Location: Beaumont-cum-Moze, Tendring, Essex, CO16

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Beaumont-cum-Moze

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Beaumont-cum-Moze

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Thorpe le Soken

Listing Text

BEAUMONT-CUM-MOZE WIX ROAD
TM 12 NE (south-west side)

3/18 Barn and attached
complex of buildings
at Oak Farm

GV II

Barn and attached complex. Early C19. Mainly red brick in Flemish and English
bond, some weatherboarded timber framing, roofed with corrugated asbestos and
slate. The barn is aligned N-S, with 2 midstreys to the E, and lean-tos between
the midstrey and in the NE angle. From its N end a range extends to the WNW,
comprising wagon-lodge, shelter shed and stalls. Further S a range extends W
from the barn, having a coach-house with loft over in the middle, and a
single-storey wing to each side of it. The barn has a half-hipped gambrel roof
of corrugated asbestos. The other buildings have low-pitched hipped roofs of
slate. The E elevation of the barn has 2 round windows with cast iron radial
tracery, one round-headed window, 3 halved doors, 2 pairs of halved doors and
one pair of great doors. The southern half is ceiled and partly lined with
matchboarding, having been used as a parish hall. The northern half has an open
roof with raking struts from the straight tiebeams to the principal rafters,
tenoned collars and clasped purlins in the upper pitch. The WSW range has to
the N 4 open bays and 2 pairs of double doors, to the S 2 open bays and 2 halved
doors, and is partly weatherboarded. The 2-storey coach-house opens to the S,
towards the former farmhouse (now The Oak, item 3/17, q.v.); to the N it has on
the first floor 3 partly slatted windows, and on the ground floor 3 halved doors
and 3 plain boarded doors. The single-storey wing to the W of it is a shelter
shed fully open to the N. The single-storey wing to the E of it comprises
stables with 5 halved doors. Built by Guy's Hospital, which owned the farm from
1725 to 1920.


Listing NGR: TM1764025551

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.