History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Compasses

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Oakley, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8943 / 51°53'39"N

Longitude: 1.1475 / 1°8'51"E

OS Eastings: 616664

OS Northings: 226435

OS Grid: TM166264

Mapcode National: GBR TPT.8XJ

Mapcode Global: VHLCK.VN05

Entry Name: The Compasses

Listing Date: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1112132

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120266

Location: Great Oakley, Tendring, Essex, CO12

County: Essex

District: Tendring

Civil Parish: Great Oakley

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Great Oakley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Thorpe le Soken

Listing Text

GREAT OAKLEY CLACTON ROAD
TM 12 NE (north-east side)

3/24 The Compasses

- II

House. C15, altered in C19 and C20. Timber framed, roughcast rendered, roofed
with interlocking concrete tiles. 3 bays facing W, with an external stack at
each end. C20 flat-roofed extension to rear of right end. One storey with
attics. 2 C19 casements, and 3 C19/early C20 casements in gabled dormers. C20
door. The interior of the ground floor is largely concealed by modern finishes,
but 2 chamfered arched braces to the central tiebeam of the former hall, and the
chamfered transverse beam of an inserted floor, c.1600, are apparent through
paper. The framing is exposed in the upper right room (the right bay of the
former hall), with jowled posts, heavy studding, cambered tiebeam, and crownpost
roof. The central crownpost has wide 4-way bracing, and the roof is complete,
and smoke-blackened. This building has been converted in the C19 to a pair of
cottages, each with its external stack and separate stair; this arrangement
remains, although now one house again, and is responsible for the fact that the
central tiebeam of the former hall is intact. Shown with a farm of 32 acres,
named Compasses, owned and occupied by Samuel Dennis, in the tithe award of 1841
(Essex Record Office, D/CT 258).


Listing NGR: TM1666426435

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.