This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9043 / 51°54'15"N
Longitude: 1.1896 / 1°11'22"E
OS Eastings: 619508
OS Northings: 227673
OS Grid: TM195276
Mapcode National: GBR VR0.FLK
Mapcode Global: VHLCL.KDRH
Entry Name: Mill House
Listing Date: 30 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1112135
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120275
Location: Great Oakley, Tendring, Essex, CO12
Civil Parish: Great Oakley
Built-Up Area: Great Oakley
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Oakley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
GREAT OAKLEY HIGH STREET
TM 1827-1927 (south-east side)
7/33 Mill House
House. C18. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3
bays facing NW, with central stack, forming a lobby-entrance. Full-length
original out-shut at rear, roofed with red clay pantiles, and small C20
extension to rear of it. C19 single-storey extension to right, front wall of
plastered brick, other walls of concrete, roofed with red clay pantiles.
Early C19 single-storey lean-to extension to left, with internal stack at rear,
roofed with machine-made red clay tiles. 2 storeys. 3-window range of C18
sashes of 12 lights, with crown glass. Central 6-panel door, the top 2 panels
glazed, the other panels flush. In the left extension, early C19 6-panel door,
the top 2 panels glazed, the middle panels fielded, the bottom panels flush.
Moulded plinth. Moulded eaves cornice. Stepped parapet at front of left
extension. The left return has 2 early C19 sashes of 12 lights on the ground
floor of the extension, and one on the first floor of the main house, with crown
glass. 2 wood-burning hearths, reduced for C20 grates, and an early C19 cast
iron ducknest grate in left extension. Chamfered beams with lamb's tongue stops
in rear outshut. Main frame of hardwood, jointed and pegged, exposed in right
ground floor room and on first floor. Early C19 half-glazed internal door to
left extension. The name refers to a windmill which formerly stood 100 metres
to the NE.
Listing NGR: TM1950827673
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings