This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0791 / 52°4'44"N
Longitude: 0.2733 / 0°16'24"E
OS Eastings: 555881
OS Northings: 244744
OS Grid: TL558447
Mapcode National: GBR MBC.PXQ
Mapcode Global: VHHKY.P0CG
Entry Name: Church of St Botolph
Listing Date: 21 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1112250
English Heritage Legacy ID: 121984
Location: Hadstock, Uttlesford, Essex, CB21
Civil Parish: Hadstock
Built-Up Area: Hadstock
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
HADSTOCK BARTLOW ROAD
Church of St Botolph
TL 5544 27/366 21.2.67
The walls of the present nave and north transept are basically of late Anglo
Saxon date and there is evidence to suggest that this was the minster church
built by Canute after the battle of Assandun in 1016. It was built on the
remains of an earlier Anglo Saxon church, possibly belonging to the monastery
founded by Abbot Botolph in the year 654. The nave has 4 original C11 double-
splayed windows intact (originally there were 6). The north door and its
stone surround with "honeysuckle" carved ornamentation on the arch and imposts
is of the early C11 but was rebuilt in its present position later in the C11.
The west door is also probably of similar date. The south doorway was inserted
in circa 1200 (now blocked). The south transept was rebuilt in the late C14
and in the C15 the west tower and north porch were added. The chancel was
rebuilt in 1884 by William Butterfield. The fittings include a font with a
C14 bowl on a stem and base which is probably of Saxon origin. The font cover
is C17-C18. There is a rare C14 or C15 oak lectern with cable moulding. The
screen with carving of fox and geese on one panel is C15. There are some C15-C16
oak benches (restored in the C19). Graded for its architectural and historical
value. (RCHM 2 and "The Archaeological Investigation of Hadstock Church, Essex"
The Antiquaries Journal 1976 Vol LVI part I).
Listing NGR: TL5588144744
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings