This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9105 / 51°54'37"N
Longitude: 0.2408 / 0°14'26"E
OS Eastings: 554228
OS Northings: 225924
OS Grid: TL542259
Mapcode National: GBR MDG.1PW
Mapcode Global: VHHLQ.474R
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 21 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1112335
English Heritage Legacy ID: 121772
Location: Elsenham, Uttlesford, Essex, CM22
Civil Parish: Elsenham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Elsenham St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
ELSENHAM HALL ROAD
Church of St Mary
TL 52 NW 22/247 21.2.67
Much of this church is of the C12. The nave and chancel were built early in
the C12 on the site of an earlier church, probably Saxon. A record of 1070
exists of the gift of the church as an endowment to the abbey of St Stephen,
at Caen in Normandy. The chancel was altered in the C15 and the west tower
of 3 stages without buttresses, with an embattled parapet and a stair turret
rising to the second stage on the south-east corner was added early in the C15.
The south porch was added about 1500 and has embattled wall plates and tie beam,
with octagonal crown posts. The spandrels of the curved braces to the tie
beams are carved. The south doorway is Norman with columns carved with
zig-zag ornamentation and carved capitals. The tympanum is carved with saltire
crosses. Inside the doorway a stone coffin lid carved with bands of saltire
crosses is inserted in the tympanum. The nave has some Norman windows and a
fine chancel arch ornamented with zig-zag carving and bands of saltire crosses.
The nave has a C15 king post roof and the chancel has a fine double arched piscina
with dog tooth ornamentation. The pulpit has an early C17 octagonal stem.
The church is situated away from the village centre. Graded for its architectural
and historical value. (RCHM 1).
Listing NGR: TL5422825924
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings