This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0361 / 52°2'9"N
Longitude: 0.1299 / 0°7'47"E
OS Eastings: 546194
OS Northings: 239663
OS Grid: TL461396
Mapcode National: GBR L9F.9ND
Mapcode Global: VHHL2.62JY
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 21 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1112358
English Heritage Legacy ID: 121725
Location: Elmdon, Uttlesford, Essex, CB11
Civil Parish: Elmdon
Built-Up Area: Elmdon
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
ELMDON ICKLETON ROAD
TL 4639 31/221 21.2.67
A flint and rubble church with a C15 west tower, the rest of the building was
rebuilt, probably on the old foundations in 1852 and 1879 and restored in the
early C20. It was rebuilt in the C14-C15 style. The west tower has a modern
parapet top and has been considerably restored. The fittings include a good
late C16 marble altar tomb with a panelled canopy and an inscription to Thomas
Meade, Justice of Common Pleas 1585. There are also 2 C16 brasses. The church
forms the central feature of the village. It is graded for its topographical
value and internal features. (RCHM 1).
Listing NGR: TL4619439663
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings