History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clavering, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9646 / 51°57'52"N

Longitude: 0.1386 / 0°8'19"E

OS Eastings: 547025

OS Northings: 231724

OS Grid: TL470317

Mapcode National: GBR LB6.ZTX

Mapcode Global: VHHL8.CW4B

Entry Name: The Old Hall

Listing Date: 26 November 1951

Last Amended: 22 February 1980

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1112414

English Heritage Legacy ID: 121561

Location: Clavering, Uttlesford, Essex, CB11

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

Civil Parish: Clavering

Built-Up Area: Clavering

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Clavering St Mary and St Clement

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Clavering

Listing Text

CLAVERING CHURCH WALK
1.
5222
(north-west side)
The Old hall
(formerly listed as
the Old House)
TL 4731 41/133 26.11.51

II* GV

2.
The original building of circa 1600 was enclosed in an L shaped addition of
circa 1690. Most of the external features are of this date and later. The
whole building has been restored. It is timber-framed, with the south end
and the south part of the east front faced in red brick with blue brick headers
and the north part of the east front plastered. Two storeys and attics. The
south front has 5 window range and the east front has 6 window range of mullioned
and transomed leaded casements. A number of the windows are restorations.
A raised brick band extends across the south front between the storeys. A
former central doorway on the south front is now replaced by a window and there
is a modern doorway on the east front. Roof tiled, with a modillion eaves
cornice and 3 hipped dormers with moulded wood cornices and leaded casements
on the east front. There are a number of good interior features, C17 and C18
fittings and some wall paintings. (RCHM 10).


Listing NGR: TL4702531724

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.