History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Paglesham, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6034 / 51°36'12"N

Longitude: 0.7799 / 0°46'47"E

OS Eastings: 592605

OS Northings: 193059

OS Grid: TQ926930

Mapcode National: GBR RQ5.D06

Mapcode Global: VHKH8.GYNP

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 27 July 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1112610

English Heritage Legacy ID: 123161

Location: Paglesham, Rochford, Essex, SS4

County: Essex

District: Rochford

Civil Parish: Paglesham

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Paglesham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Canewdon

Listing Text

PAGLESHAM CHURCH END
TQ 99 SW
7/158 Church of St. Peter
27.7.59
GV II*
Parish Church. Mainly C15 with some C12 work in chancel and nave. C16 west
tower. Circa 1883 restorations. C19 south porch and north vestry. Stone,
flint and septaria, some Roman brick. Red plain tiled roofs. Chancel. C15
east window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery, 2-centred head and
label. 2 small C18 round headed windows to north wall. South wall C16 eastern
single light square headed window, western restored C16 window of 2
cinquefoiled lights, square head and label. Between the windows a possibly C16
doorway sunk chamfered jambs and round head. Nave, south wall, end and central
buttresses, C19 eastern window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, moulded surround,
square head and label with headstops, central C19 2 cinquefoiled lights, pointed
segmental head, moulded surround and label with head stops. Western window of 2
cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, square head and label with head stops, carved
flowers to surround and head. South porch buttressed at angles, moulded
2-centred arch, moulded label. Small windows to side walls, trefoiled 2-centred
arches, square heads and labels. C15/C16 south door, moulded jambs, 2-centred
head, moulded label. C15/C16 nailed and moulded battens to door, moulded
muntins, 2 strap hinges and lock plate. Porch interior, of 2 bays, cambered tie
beam supported by arched braces on corbels, stop chamfered joists, ridge board.
Side seats. Nave, north wall buttressed at eastern angle. Eastern small round
headed window, western window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, square head and label.
North vestry, gabled to north, east and 2 north wall windows of trefoiled
lights, square heads and labels. Small 2-centred window to gable apex. West
tower of 3 stages. Crenellated. Buttresses to north west, south west and south
east angles. Stair turret to north east rising above the parapet and with 3
slit lights to east and 2 to west faces. Bands below crenellations, bell
chamber and second stage. All faces of bell chamber with 2 cinquefoiled lights
under square heads, labels over. Each face of second stage has a single
trefoiled light under a square head and label. West window of 3 cinquefoiled
lights, vertical tracery, moulded 2 centred head, traces of moulded label. Band
below window. West doorway, moulded jambs and 2-centred head and label, much
worn. C15 nailed plank and muntin door, strap hinges. Interior. Chancel. C19
double side purlin roof, ridge board, moulded wall plates. C19 stained glass to
windows. Square red brick Sanctuary floor. C19 wrought iron and wood altar
rails. Eight C17 and C18 headstones from the churchyard now set in the chancel
floor. Floor slab to John Nassu, December 18th 1807. Carved fronts to choir
stalls. Cushion capital with ring under, on C20 circular column, used as
Piscina. Hatchment to north wall. Simple 2-centred chancel arch. Hatchment
over chancel arch. Nave:- C19/C20 roof of 4 bays with end and central
hammerbeams supported by corbel stones. Double side purlin roof, ridge board
and king posts, all joists stop chamfered. Eight C18 and C19 head stones from
churchyard set in floor. C20 octagonal pulpit with sounding board over.
Piscina to south wall, cinquefoiled 2-centred head. There is a rim band of a
bell dated 1598 on the south window cill. Niche to east of north wall.
Segmental head to north doorway. Donation board over relating to the bequest to
6 poor families given by John Nassu 1807. Chest, moulded rim to lid, carved
panel to base of back. C19 octagonal font. Tower arch. 2-centred arch of 2
chamfered orders, the inner resting on semi-octagonal jambs with moulded
capitals and bases. Stair turret doorway moulded 2-centred arch. C15, door
nailed boards, 2 strap hinges. RCHM 1.


Listing NGR: TQ9260593059

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.