This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6044 / 51°36'15"N
Longitude: 0.8773 / 0°52'38"E
OS Eastings: 599347
OS Northings: 193429
OS Grid: TQ993934
Mapcode National: GBR SRM.6ML
Mapcode Global: VHKHB.5X4Y
Entry Name: Monkton Barns quay Farmhouse
Listing Date: 13 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1112641
English Heritage Legacy ID: 123134
Location: Foulness, Rochford, Essex, SS3
Civil Parish: Foulness
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
FOULNESS THE QUAY
TQ 99 SE
8/111 Quay Farmhouse
sometimes known as
House. Circa 1811 gault brick encasing earlier timber framed building. Double
range red plain tiled roofs. Rear lean-to. External left and end right
plastered chimney stacks. 2 storeys. 4 window range of vertically sliding
sashes, gauged brick arches. 3 S tie plates. Rear right brewhouse/wash house
with basement and copper intact. Internally the front range has a large chimney
stack with C20 fireplace. Stick baluster staircase, moulded door surrounds and
wainscots. The ground cill, top plate and some wall studs of the timber framed
building are visible under the modern decorations, moulded bridging joist.
Several C18 and C19 cast iron firesurrounds one with mantel shelf over, one with
Tudor head, moulded spandrels and jamb shafts, small bedroom semi-circular
headed hob grate and a moulded hob grate. Vertically boarded doors with
original hinges. First floor ceiling joists have soffit tenons with diminished
haunches and carpenters marks. The Island had no fresh water supply until
recently and there is a small header tank from the roof with supply tap. Stone
flag kitchen floor. A note written in the Parish Register by the then Curate
Thos. Ellwood states "August 1811 Mr. Lodwick's brick cottages Quay Farm alias
Munkin Barnes begun building". The pair of cottages were converted into one
dwelling C20. 20th November 1594 Lord Rich purchased from Henry Coney
"Maunkyinge Barn alias Monkon Barne. 1577 Terrier showing the possessions of
Sir Robert Riche shows the tenant at Monk Barn to be the Widow of William
Lawson, yearly rent £13.13.4d. R.W. Crump. Foulness Archaeological Society,
The First 10 Years, October 1985. Unpublished at time of resurvey.
Listing NGR: TQ9934793429
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings