This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6022 / 51°36'7"N
Longitude: 0.6579 / 0°39'28"E
OS Eastings: 584168
OS Northings: 192606
OS Grid: TQ841926
Mapcode National: GBR QNN.K50
Mapcode Global: VHJKR.CZ5N
Entry Name: Hockley Spa Rooms
Listing Date: 26 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1112670
English Heritage Legacy ID: 122997
Location: Hockley, Rochford, Essex, SS5
Civil Parish: Hockley
Built-Up Area: Rayleigh
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Hockley
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
HOCKLEY SPA ROAD
TQ 89 SW
3/35 No. 54. (Hockley Spa Rooms)
Pump rooms of small spa started early 1840's by Robert Clay and his wife who
discovered a medicinal spring 1838. Built to designs of John Lockyer, 1842.
Now part of a factory. The building was used as a Baptist Chapel. Stucco
faced, grey slate roof. Of 5 bays, the 3 centre bays break forward. Heavy
moulded cornice and parapet. 4 Tuscan pilasters to centre bays. 1:3:1 tall
windows with semi-circular heads and glazing bars. Central parapet panel with
title Hockley Spa. Later glazed brick extensions with corrugated iron roof to
left bay. Right rear return with 5 Tuscan pilasters, moulded pediment and
blocked semi-circular headed window. A C20 factory extends to rear and right
and a C19 red brick house to left.
Listing NGR: TQ8416892606
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings