History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Commandant's House, Horseshoe Barracks

A Grade II Listed Building in Shoeburyness, Southend-on-Sea

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5271 / 51°31'37"N

Longitude: 0.7929 / 0°47'34"E

OS Eastings: 593834

OS Northings: 184606

OS Grid: TQ938846

Mapcode National: GBR RR4.98V

Mapcode Global: VHKHN.PWK6

Entry Name: Commandant's House, Horseshoe Barracks

Listing Date: 28 April 1986

Last Amended: 17 February 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1112691

English Heritage Legacy ID: 122959

Location: Southend-on-Sea, SS3

County: Southend-on-Sea

Electoral Ward/Division: Shoeburyness

Built-Up Area: Southend-on-Sea

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: South Shoebury St Andrew with St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Southend-on-Sea

Listing Text

TQ 98 SW SOUTHEND ON SEA MESS ROAD
(north west side), Shoebury Garrison

5/723 Commandant's House, Horseshoe Barracks
28.4.86
GV II

Commandant's House. 1851, built by D Nicholson and Sons, Wandsworth, extended 1860 and later. Yellow stock brick with brick ridge and gable stacks, and slate hipped and gabled roof. Double-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 4-window range. Rendered porch to left of centre has half-glazed door with overlight to right of gabled bay with added conservatory. Projecting eaves are supported on decorative cast-iron brackets. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: one of the first buildings on the site, for the superintendent, Shoebury was expanded in 1859 as the first British School of Gunnery. Included as an important part of a complete mid C19 barracks. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: RA Barracks and Old Ranges: 1860-: CTR 351-353; Glennie D: Gunners Town: History of Shoeburyness: Civic Publications: 1948-).


Listing NGR: TQ9383484606

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.