This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5281 / 51°31'40"N
Longitude: 0.7911 / 0°47'27"E
OS Eastings: 593701
OS Northings: 184708
OS Grid: TQ937847
Mapcode National: GBR RR4.2V1
Mapcode Global: VHKHN.NVKG
Entry Name: Blocks A-D, Horseshoe Barracks
Listing Date: 28 April 1986
Last Amended: 17 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1112692
English Heritage Legacy ID: 122963
Location: Southend-on-Sea, SS3
Electoral Ward/Division: Shoeburyness
Built-Up Area: Southend-on-Sea
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: South Shoebury St Andrew with St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/09/2014
TQ 98 SW
SOUTHEND ON SEA, Shoebury Garrison,
WARRIOR SQUARE (east side),
No. 1-7, Blocks A-D, Horseshoe Barracks
(Formerly listed as Numbers 1-4 (Consecutive), Blocks A-D, Horseshoe Barracks)
Terrace of 4 officers' quarters at British School of Gunnery, now houses. 1860, Block D added c1870, altered 1925. Yellow stock brick with rubbed brick flat arches, brick ridge stacks and slate roof. Late Georgian style. Single-depth plan with rear service blocks. EXTERIOR: each a 2-storey; 5-window range. Long symmetrical front with plat band and overhanging roof; each house has a central flat-headed porch with narrow side lights, flat-headed door with overlight and double panelled doors, and narrow side windows, with flat-headed 6/6-pane sashes. 1-window range end gables have a blind attic lunette. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted as having rear dogleg stair from entrance hall. HISTORY: the RA School opened in 1859. Each originally had rooms for 4 officers to the front and rear servants' quarters. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: RA Barracks and Old Ranges: 1860-: CTR 361-364; Glennie D: Gunners Town: History of Shoeburyness: Civic Publications: 1948-).
Listing NGR: TQ8832085635
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings