History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priest's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hawkwell, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5881 / 51°35'17"N

Longitude: 0.6991 / 0°41'56"E

OS Eastings: 587078

OS Northings: 191146

OS Grid: TQ870911

Mapcode National: GBR QNX.9LM

Mapcode Global: VHKHF.2BGX

Entry Name: The Priest's House

Listing Date: 19 August 1980

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1112697

English Heritage Legacy ID: 122973

Location: Hawkwell, Rochford, Essex, SS4

County: Essex

District: Rochford

Civil Parish: Hawkwell

Built-Up Area: Rochford

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Rochford St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Rochford

Listing Text

HAWKWELL ASHINGDON ROAD
TQ 89 SE
4/1 No. 109. (The Priest's
House)
19.8.80
- II

House. Circa 1500 with later alterations and additions. For Richard Lord Rich.
Timber framed, C18 red brick faced. Hipped red plain tiled roof. No chimney
stack visible from road. 2 storeys and attics, 2 square headed dormers with 2
light casements. Dentilled eaves cornice. 3 small paned vertically sliding
sashes to first floor. Right and left C19 angled bays to ground floor,
vertically sliding sashes with glazing bars. Central 2 panelled door with 3 top
lights, moulded surround and pediment. 2 window range to right return
(Ashingdon Road face) of small paned vertically sliding sashes, segmental head.
Part glazed double doors to right. 3 round tie plates at ceiling level. Rear
wing. Possibly built as an L plan hall house. Interior features include C18
staircase and fireplaces. Main range with jowled storey posts and chamfered
bridging joists. Rear range with heavy jowled storey posts and sooted rafters
of open hall. Part of the Lord Rich estate in 1557. Marked on the Chapman and
Andre map of 1777 as Swanes.


Listing NGR: TQ8707891146

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.