History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Stebbing, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8917 / 51°53'30"N

Longitude: 0.4124 / 0°24'44"E

OS Eastings: 566103

OS Northings: 224215

OS Grid: TL661242

Mapcode National: GBR NG6.933

Mapcode Global: VHJJ8.3QD5

Entry Name: United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 6 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1112769

English Heritage Legacy ID: 122831

Location: Stebbing, Uttlesford, Essex, CM6

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

Civil Parish: Stebbing

Built-Up Area: Stebbing

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Stebbing St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Great Dunmow

Listing Text

TL 6624 STEBBING MILL LANE
10/410 United Reformed Church

II

Chapel circa 1877. Red brick built with yellow brick bands and dressings and
moulded brick ornamentation. Grey slate roof. Single storey. A central gabled
panel breaks forward with a yellow brick, stepped cornice and flat topped
pilaster feet. Stepped cornice to all eaves with a follow through band to centr
panel. A moulded band of stylized laurel leaves runs at window head level and a
yellow band at cill level. The central double doors have stone pilasters with
moulded capitals, a frieze with paterae and a moulded, flat canopy surmounted
by a short stone band with projecting pedimented stops. 2:1:1:2 window range of
original vertical 4 paned sliding sash windows, the top sliding pane, with
varied coloured glazed margins, with yellow gauged brick arches and red moulded
brick keystones. The 2 windows to right and left each share a stone cill with
ornate moulded stone brackets and infill of moulded foliar bricks. Matching
cills and mouldings to the windows to right and left of central door. Central
moulded brick plaque to gable bears the date 1877. Return walls are with
matching cornice, bands and mouldings and with 3 matching windows sharing
matching cills and mouldings and gable apex with yellow brick roundels with
carved stone pierced quatrefoil infills. An unusual and interesting building
for this period. The heavily moulded bricks seem to be a unique example in this
area.


Listing NGR: TL6610324215

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.