This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5247 / 51°31'29"N
Longitude: -0.1335 / 0°8'0"W
OS Eastings: 529582
OS Northings: 182298
OS Grid: TQ295822
Mapcode National: GBR G7.5L
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.MYS0
Entry Name: University College (University of London) and Attached Railings to North and South Wings
Listing Date: 10 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113056
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477406
Location: Camden, London, WC1E
Electoral Ward/Division: Bloomsbury
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Pancras with St James and Christ Church St Pancras
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2982SE GOWER STREET
798-1/94/612 (West side)
10/06/54 University College (University of
London) & attached railings to N & S
College. Central block c1827-9 by W Wilkins and JP
Gandy-Deering. Flaxman Gallery and Library c1848 by TL
Donaldson. South wing, c1869-76, north wing c1870-1881, both
by T Hayter Lewis. North-west wing 1912-13 by FM Simpson.
South-west wing, c1923 by AE Richardson. South Junction block
1950, North Junction block 1951, Physics Building 1950-2 by AE
Richardson and EAS Houfe.
STYLE/PLAN: stone buildings in Neo-Grecian style enclosing a
quadrangle, the Flaxman Gallery and library extending from the
rear of the portico.
EXTERIOR: main facade and wings, 2 storeys and attic.
Central block: decastyle Corinthian pedimented portico on high
podium approached by Imperial steps with solid stone
balustrade and piers. Behind the pediment, the enriched copper
dome, with blind stone lantern, of the Flaxman Gallery.
Flanking the portico, 22 bays with rusticated ground floor and
pilasters rising from the 1st floor and carrying an
entablature. Architraved sash windows with cornices. Attic
with rectangular, small paned windows in groups of 3.
Flaxman Gallery and Library: space below the dome remodelled
by Donaldson to house the plaster originals of Flaxman's
sculptures. Library block of 3 storeys in brick with a stone
arcade of paired columns at ground floor level. Stone band at
1st floor level. Large arcaded windows with stone impost
bands. 2nd floor stepped back, a partly blind arcade only the
arched heads being glazed. Enriched stone roundels in the
spandrels. Stone capped parapet.
North and south wings: 2 storeys with 13 bays each of which
the centre bays form projecting semi-rotundas with Corinthian
columns rising from the 1st floor carrying entablature and
parapet. 1 bay either side of these features also projecting.
1st floor with pilasters between architraved sash windows with
console bracketed cornices and sill string. Ground floor
rusticated with architraved sashes with cornices. Architraved
entrances, in the centre of projecting semi-rotundas, with
console bracketed cornices, fanlights and panelled doors.
Enriched frieze at 1st floor level. North-west and south-west
wings: 11 bays each in similar style but without rotundas. End
bays projecting at entrance to quadrangle with 3 window
returns. Similar facades to Gower Street.
INTERIORS: all retain original features.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings and stone
piers to basement areas of wings.
HISTORICAL NOTE: founded to provide university education
without religious bias and the first college of London
University. Housed in a cupboard in the College is the dressed
skeleton of Jeremy Bentham, philosopher and reformer who
bequeathed himself on his death in 1832 (Scheduled Ancient
Monument). Also housed at the college, a collection of
neo-Classical sculpture by Flaxman and a collection of
Listing NGR: TQ2958282298
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings