History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

66, Frognal

A Grade II* Listed Building in Frognal and Fitzjohns, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5547 / 51°33'17"N

Longitude: -0.1825 / 0°10'56"W

OS Eastings: 526103

OS Northings: 185548

OS Grid: TQ261855

Mapcode National: GBR D0.LPN

Mapcode Global: VHGQR.S5DZ

Entry Name: 66, Frognal

Listing Date: 1 August 1973

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1113062

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477412

Location: Camden, London, NW3

County: London

District: Camden

London Borough Ward: Frognal and Fitzjohns

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Hampstead

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ2685NW FROGNAL
798-1/26/523 (East side)
01/08/73 No.66

GV II*

Detached house on corner site. 1937-8. By Colin Lucas with
Amyas Connell and Basil Ward. Roughcast on reinforced concrete
monolithic structure with floors supported on freestanding
reinforced concrete pilotis. Flat roof over hanging 2nd floor;
post-war alterations filling in sundeck on top floor by Trevor
Dannatt.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 13 window continuous strip. Main facade
with projecting central rectangular staircase, to full height,
with glazed rectangular panels to each return. Ground floor
left forms an open carport with garage; staircase to extreme
left leads to 1st floor entrance with plain canopy. Ground
floor right, glazed. Upper floors have continuous strips of
large pane sliding windows, those at 1st floor with round
tie-plates above and 2nd floor slightly recessed. Right hand
return has glazed, recessed ground floor, the upper floors
supported on pilotis and having a continuous raked flower
trough; a small rectangular window to each floor. Rear
elevation with stair to right hand 1st floor terrace with
tubular railings; central plate-glass bay with strip window
bay to left. 2nd floor with continuous balcony having tubular
railings; 2 left hand bays with plate-glass French windows
overhung by flat roof.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: a pioneer work of the Modern Movement in the
UK. Connell and Ward were early admirers of Le Corbusier;
Lucas, similarly influenced and frustrated by conventional
builders, had set up his own company to develop ideas for
reinforced concrete. The three worked as a team from 1933, for
six years producing a series of houses that no contemporary
firm could match.

Listing NGR: TQ2610385548

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.