This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5499 / 51°32'59"N
Longitude: -0.1555 / 0°9'19"W
OS Eastings: 527985
OS Northings: 185053
OS Grid: TQ279850
Mapcode National: GBR DW.1GH
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.894Q
Entry Name: Number 46 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113066
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477416
Location: Camden, London, NW5
Electoral Ward/Division: Haverstock
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Martin Kentish Town
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2785SE GRAFTON TERRACE
798-1/40/617 (North side)
and attached railings
Terraced house. Mid C19. Yellow stock brick with stucco ground
floor, quoins to upper floors and dressings.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and semi-basement. 1 window. Entrance of
panelled door with overlight in side of canted bay shared with
house to right; approached by curved flight of steps with
attached cast-iron railings having spearhead finials. Canted
bay with narrow window to right of door having margin glazing
with stained glass in margins. Sash with similar glazing to
left of entrance. Cornice at 1st floor level, breaks forward
over bay, and surmounted by pierced stucco continuous
balustrade. 1st floor window of paired arched sashes with
keystone heads, vermiculated spandrels and a moulded
architrave surround with shaped lugs and cornice on enriched
brackets forming sill to similar but smaller 2nd floor window
with moulded architrave and moulded keystone flanked by
enriched consoles replacing cornice. Cornice and blocking
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with
spearhead finials to areas.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Karl Marx lived in this house from September
1856 to Easter 1864. He was then working on the first book of
"Das Kapital", and "Zur Kritik de politischen Okonorm" was
published during his time here. The house was then known as
No.9 Grafton Terrace.
Listing NGR: TQ2798585053
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings