History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Dorothys Convent

A Grade II Listed Building in Frognal and Fitzjohns, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5576 / 51°33'27"N

Longitude: -0.1822 / 0°10'55"W

OS Eastings: 526115

OS Northings: 185867

OS Grid: TQ261858

Mapcode National: GBR D0.DRX

Mapcode Global: VHGQR.S3KS

Entry Name: St Dorothys Convent

Listing Date: 11 August 1950

Last Amended: 11 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1113077

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477427

Location: Camden, London, NW3

County: London

District: Camden

London Borough Ward: Frognal and Fitzjohns

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Hampstead

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ2685NW FROGNAL
798-1/26/528 (West side)
11/08/50 No.99
St Dorothy's Convent
(Formerly Listed as:
FROGNAL
No.99
Frognal House)

GV II

Detached house, now a convent finishing school. c1740, partly
refaced late C19; late C20 alterations. Brown brick with red
brick dressings, moulded brick plinth and pilasters supporting
a cornice at 2nd floor level.
3 storeys and basement. Single window entrance front and 3
window return to garden. C20 entrance with canopy. Gauged red
brick segmental arches to flush framed sashes with exposed
boxing. 1st floor sash above entrance, round-arched with a
cast-iron guard. Garden front with central full height canted
bay, ground and 1st floor windows altered to French windows,
1st floor with early C19 cast-iron balconies. Parapet with C20
plain cast-iron balustrade. INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: following the Crimean War the house became
the Sailors' Orphan Girls' Home and was the home of General de
Gaulle and family in 1940-2. Converted to a finishing school
1968.

Listing NGR: TQ2611585867

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.