This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.558 / 51°33'28"N
Longitude: -0.182 / 0°10'55"W
OS Eastings: 526125
OS Northings: 185917
OS Grid: TQ261859
Mapcode National: GBR D0.DSV
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.S3MF
Entry Name: Frognal Grove Including Former Stable Range
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113081
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477431
Location: Camden, London, NW3
London Borough Ward: Frognal and Fitzjohns
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
798-1/26/531 (West side)
11/08/50 Nos.105-111 (Odd)
Frognal Grove including former
Large house with stable block, now 4 semi-detached houses.
c1745-50. By Henry Flitcroft for himself; much altered with
later additions. No.105 was the south-east range; No.107 the
principal block; No.109 largely later C19 work with 1926
extension; No.111 converted stables. Painted brick with slated
and tiled roofs.
EXTERIOR: No.105: originally 2-storey south-east range, 3rd
storey added mid C19 by GE Street who also added a porch and
verandah to the west front.
No.107: the principal block. Slated hipped mansard roof with
dormers and wooden rectangular cupola having segmental
openings, hipped roof and weathervane. 3 storeys and attic. 4
windows. Brick and timber round-arched pergola, erected
pre-1894, leads to architraved doorway with panelled doors and
cast-iron entrance gables. Stone at 1st floor level. Gauged
brick flat arches to recessed sashes; upper floors with
louvred shutters. Stone cornice and stone coped brick parapet.
No.109: 3 storeys 3 windows in similar style to No.107.
Extended late C19 and remodelled 1926 for Mr and Mrs Ernest
Joseph. Rear comprises a wide 5-light canted bowed bay.
No.111: northern former stable range, later C19, possibly with
some C18 work, altered C20. Tiled hipped roof with dormers and
gabled Diocletian window. Single storey with attics. Former
entrances with open pediments and arched niches or fanlights
INTERIORS: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Henry Flitcroft bought the copyhold of
Frognal Grove in 1741 from Thomas Watson-Wentworth, Earl of
Malton. This house replaced a structure of c1700. Henry
Flitcroft junior inherited the house but leased it out, the
most famous tenant being Edward Montagu, Master in Chancery
who lived there between 1772 and c1794. The house subsequently
passed into the hands of the Street family, into which
Flitcroft's great-granddaughter had married. The architect GE
Street inherited the property in 1871-2 and was responsible
for works here. Also known as Montagu Lodge, Frognal Grove was
subdivided in the 1950s.
(Country Life: Nares G: Frognal Grove, Hampstead - 24 June
1949: 1502-1506; Victoria County History: Middlesex, Vol. IX,
Hampstead and Paddington Parishes: Oxford: -1989: 17).
Listing NGR: TQ2613085905
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings