This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5355 / 51°32'7"N
Longitude: -0.189 / 0°11'20"W
OS Eastings: 525707
OS Northings: 183394
OS Grid: TQ257833
Mapcode National: GBR 13.RR
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.NNZS
Entry Name: Mecca Social Club Carlton Rooms
Listing Date: 5 February 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113102
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477480
Location: Camden, London, W9
Electoral Ward/Division: Kilburn
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Augustine Kilburn
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2583SE MAIDA VALE
798-1/80/1098 (East side)
05/02/91 Mecca Social Club Carlton Rooms
Formerly known as: The Maida Vale Picture House MAIDA VALE.
Cinema, now a social club and bingo hall. 1912. By Edward A
Stone. For Messrs Wilmot, Williams and Co. Stucco with red
EXTERIOR: symmetrical facade with central entrance bay of 3
round-arched openings flanked by enriched pilasters and
approached by 4 curved steps. 4 architraved windows to 1st
floor, central 2 paired, with scrolled pediments and separated
by enriched pilasters supporting an entablature with dentil
cornice and blocking course above which appears a small
segmental-arched pediment with keystone and shell enrichment.
Central bays flanked by rectangular towers each with paired,
architraved windows with cornices to ground floor (left hand,
a door), an oculus at mezzanine level and above, 2 narrow
vertically set windows. Each tower crowned by enriched dies at
angles and a circular belvedere with oculi having scrolled
surrounds, an enriched frieze, dentil cornice and cupola with
INTERIOR: panelled foyer with part fluted pilasters supporting
an entablature with mirrored frieze and dentil cornice above
which a deep plasterwork frieze of putti, animals, birds and
foliage. Enriched plasterwork panelled ceiling with bracketed
cornice. Sumptuous, fine quality gilded auditorium with
balcony at rear giving impression of 4 boxes. Giant Ionic
panelled pilasters alternate with round-arched, etched glass
mirrors with above, tall lugged panels having wreath and
festoon plasterwork. Proscenium arch flanked by fluted Ionic
half columns supporting an entablature with central foliated
cartouche. To either side, tall panels of geometric openwork
design. Coved, panelled ceiling with wide, intricately moulded
ribs. Central circular panel with enriched plasterwork
spandrels and dome with flaming sun and rays enrichment.
Seating now removed.
HISTORICAL NOTE: a rare example of a virtually unaltered early
picture house. In 1949 it became the Carlton Rooms Dance Hall;
in 1965 a casino and bingo hall.
Listing NGR: TQ2570783394
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings