This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5582 / 51°33'29"N
Longitude: -0.1751 / 0°10'30"W
OS Eastings: 526606
OS Northings: 185947
OS Grid: TQ266859
Mapcode National: GBR D0.GK4
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.X399
Entry Name: Burgh House
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113163
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477587
Location: Camden, London, NW3
Electoral Ward/Division: Hampstead Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Christ Church Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2685NE NEW END SQUARE
798-1/27/1199 (North East side)
11/08/50 Nos.17 AND 19
Detached house. c1703-4 for Henry and Hannah Sewell, enlarged
to rear c1720 for Dr William Gibbons and with single-storey
music room to side c1925 for Captain Constantine Benson. Brown
brick with red brick dressings and some later patching. Hipped
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and semi-basement.
Main (south-east) front: symmetrical 5 window frontage.
Reinstated wood modillion cornice. Patched red brick bands
between storeys. Central doorway with C20 cornice-hood carried
by pilasters and wrought-iron brackets; patterned fanlight and
panelled door approached by steps with early C19 cast-iron
railings. Slightly recessed sashes with later C18 stucco
surrounds; ground and 1st floor have cambered arch heads.
Extension to left with similar sashes.
Rear (north-west) elevation: 5 window frontage with projecting
wings each having 1 blind window with 3 window returns. Red
brick bands between storeys. Gauged red brick segmental-arched
windows with red brick dressings; 1st and 2nd floor have
arched central windows to staircase.
INTERIOR: with fully panelled rooms, carved and moulded box
cornices, dadoes and some original fireplaces. Symmetrical
plan to rear of enlarged entrance hall, with central stair
flanked by rooms to either side with rear closets. The first
floor similarly symmetrical with central corridor over
entrance. Good C18 staircase. Ground floor rear library
retains some mouldings 1884-97 installed by Grylls family
(stained glass artists). Other rear room with fluted pilaster
strips. Music room in 3-bay addition to left with panelling
said to come from Weatherall House, formerly adjoining, and
before that from the Long Room of nearby Spa.
HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1720s occupied by the Spa physician
William Gibbons whose initials are on the wrought-iron gates
(qv). c1858-1881, it was used as the headquarters and
Officers' Mess of the Royal East Middlesex Militia. Following
World War II it became a Council community centre and in 1979
was leased to the Burgh House Trust who run it as a meeting
place, exhibition centre and local history museum.
Listing NGR: TQ2660685947
Other nearby listed buildings